Director of Communications
Director of Communications
The award-winning St. Edward's University Marketing and Communications Office delivers innovative and integrated programs including reputation management, brand management, recruitment, and retention marketing. We communicate St. Edward's experience to increase awareness of the university, support recruitment, and retention goals, and empower the university's brand advocates. Our office is collaborative and productive approaching programs with creativity, measurement, and learning opportunities.
The Director of Communications role requires independent, self-directed work and regular collaboration with offices across campus. The Director of Communications provides counsel and participates in discussions with faculty, staff, and university leadership. Primary responsibilities include media relations, issues management, crisis communications, and employee communications creating a high level of internal and external visibility for this position and its responsibilities. This position reports to the Vice President for Marketing and Communications.
- Serve as the university spokesperson and liaison for media and relations.
- Increase external awareness for the university with faculty and staff thought leaders, proactive media opportunities, and media training.
- Lead strategic internal communications programs for the university.
- Lead and execute all crisis and issues management communications to internal and external audiences working with the Reputation and Emergency Management Team and communications roles across campus.
- Stay informed of external issues affecting university business and communicate on those as necessary.
- Willingness to be on-call and available during nights and weekends in order to respond to immediate communication needs.
- Supervise Communications Manager.
- Serve on the leadership team providing strategic direction for the marketing and communications office.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of eight years' experience of public relations and communications experience
- 3+ years' experience in a supervisory role
- Knowledge of social media and communications platforms.
- Understanding and respect for the mission of the university and particularly its Catholic heritage
- Exceptional communication skills including written, verbal and presentational
- Organized, articulate, creative, and comfortable with self-directed work
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong competency with standard software applications, and the ability to learn new software
- Must possess an unencumbered driver's license and the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
For detailed information, please scroll to the bottom of the page to download the job description.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
Medical & Rx Coverage Blue Cross Blue Shield (HSA & FSA Available)
Dental Guardian Dental
Vision Guardian/Davis Vision Plan
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; https://stedwards.applicantpro.com. Please include a resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.
In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning, and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summaryOTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Available: ImmediatelyFull Job Description St Edwards Universityhttps://stedwards.applicantpro.com