Success Coach (HSI)
Job location: Pasadena, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-26
This position will be responsible for working with PO undergraduate students to help them in selecting appropriate academic pathways and/or to identify courses that will assist them in achieving work, internships or other opportunities. This position will also work with PO’s undergraduate students who taking online, hybrid or on-ground courses to assist with accelerating degree attainment. The Success Coach will meet with students to determine their needs based on grade point average, class schedule and other factors. Referrals will be made to financial aid, career services and tutoring/mentoring. The Academic Advisor will be located in the Latinx+ Student Success Center and will market their services to undergraduates through routine visits to their courses.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (The degree of supervision exercised over this position):
Work is generally supervised by direct supervisor and work is reviewed through performance appraisals and results received
SUPERVISION EXERCISED (The degree to which this position exercises over other positions):
# of Supervised Directly # of Supervised Indirectly
FTE (Full-time Equivalent) FTE (Full-time Equivalent)
__0___FTE (Non-exempt) __0___FTE (Non-exempt):
__0___FTE (Exempt) __0___FTE (Exempt):
__0___FTE Total __0___FTE Total
- Communicate in a timely and professional manner with prospective students to promote the College’s program and support them through the application process to enrollment. Involves accessing the enrollment management system and typing data and extensive use of the telephone.
- Advise, monitor, and track enrolled students in assigned programs to support successful completion of degree/certificate requirements.
- Identify and address potential issues and refer student to appropriate services. Involves accessing the enrollment management system and typing data and extensive use of the telephone.
- Communicate regularly with faculty to ensure accurate information about the program(s) and review student progress.
- Work with the Activity Director and other members of PO community to identify and implement strategies to accelerate degree attainment in support of the College’s HSI goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned to contribute to the continuous quality of programs meeting HSI goals and objectives.
Is regular attendance an essential function? ☒ Yes ☐ No
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Higher Education environment, atmosphere and policies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Working knowledge of databases
- Exhibit patience and professionalism displays sensitivity, respect and understanding of adult students, diverse populations and various perspectives and learning styles.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to shift quickly between task without loss of continuity
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to operational details
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal and communication skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish language) required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of admissions, education, student leadership or related areas (counseling, advising, higher education, human resources, public relations, sales/marketing, etc.)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish language) required
- Access to reliable transportation to attend events (if using personal car – DMV report will be requested and copy of car insurance bi-annually).
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS (Describe environment including exposure to heat, cold, fumes, etc.)
- Office environment; typically, 70 degrees
- Noise level is usually quiet to moderately noisy while in the office
EQUIPMENT USED: (List all manual and automated equipment used in the course of performing essential functions.)
- Frequent use of personal computer/laptop
- Copier, scanner and fax machines
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL TASKS: (Check all that apply):
☒ Standing ☒ Lifting: _15_ Lbs. ☒ Pushing/Pulling ☒ Driving
☒ Walking ☒ Carrying ☒ Hearing ☒ Speaking
☒ Reaching ☒ Writing ☒ Squatting/Kneeling ☒ Seeing
☐ Climbing ☒ Pushing ☒ Other: Typing
Physical Environment - Exposed to:
☒ Noise ☒ Heat/Cold ☐ Fumes/Gases ☐ Human Tissue/Fluids
☐ Chemicals ☐ Carcinogens ☒ Dirt ☐ Animal Tissue/Fluids
☐ Toxic Chemicals ☐ Radiation ☐ Biohazardous Material
☒ Reading ☒ Frequent Interruptions ☒ Periods of Concentrated Attention
☒ Detailed Work ☒ Irregular Work Schedule ☒ Frequent Contact with People
☒ Frequent Deadlines ☐Other:
☒ Multiple Concurrent Tasks
TRAVEL: (% of total time): Up to 5% of total time
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job:
The noise level in the work environment is usually quite to moderately noisy while in the office. The office temperature about 70 degrees.
The position is governed by the policies of Pacific Oaks, along with established procedures for the department. Independent judgment is required in the supervision of personnel as well as in the carrying out of the department's strategic goals and budget management.
Routine exchange or presentation of information.
Responsible for demonstrating professionalism and leadership in resolving conflicts with students and employees. Recommends alternative approaches to solve problems and conflicts.
This position does not require the management of budgets, but it is required to follow Pacific Oaks policies for purchasing and budget approvals.
Pacific Oaks offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical, vision, and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition discount, and other perks.
Pacific Oaks is an affiliate of TCS Education System. To apply for this position or others, visit our Careers’ Page at: www.pacificoaks.edu
Pacific Oaks participates in E-Verify and verifies identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Pacific Oaks offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.