Manager, Life Support Systems and Water Quality
Biosphere 2 at the University of Arizona is in search of a Life Support Systems & Water Quality Manager. This position shall assist the Deputy Director in supervising the daily operation & maintenance of all aquatic animal Life Support Systems (LSS) & Water Quality (WQ) equipment, as well as oversee animal husbandry requirements for the Experimental B2 Ocean biome. This position will have shared responsibilities for providing daily direction in monitoring all phases of aquarium exhibit water treatment processing operations as well as equipment condition & recommending necessary changes or repairs as needed. This position is responsible for maintenance, monitoring, operation & troubleshooting of life support & water quality systems within the experimental B2 Ocean biome. We are looking for someone who will be focused on providing uniformly excellent customer service to all guests and consistently project a professional image of the Biosphere 2 team to all visitors. Must be able to work a flexible weekly schedule including working a combination of day, evening & overnight shifts on a regular basis as required. May require work on holiday & weekends as needed by the facility. Biosphere 2 is one of the world's most unique facilities dedicated to the research and understanding of global scientific issues. The facility serves as a laboratory for controlled scientific studies, an arena for scientific discovery and discussion, and a far-reaching provider of public education. Its mission is to serve as a center for research, outreach, teaching and life-long learning about Earth, its living systems, and its place in the universe; to catalyze interdisciplinary thinking and understanding about Earth and its future; to be an adaptive tool for Earth education and outreach to industry, government, and the public; and to distill issues related to Earth systems planning and management for use by policymakers, students and the public.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here http://talent.arizona.edu/
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & Responsibilities1. Assist the Deputy Director with monitoring and supervising of daily operations of the LSS systems and WQ systems.
2. Supervises a staff of 1-2 WQ and LSS technicians and animal husbandry
(aquarist) personnel. Providing daily direction with operations and
3. Oversees all animal husbandry and life support
of corals, giant clams, fish, and other invertebrate and vertebrate
organisms within the B2O and raceway tanks.
4. Oversees all equipment preventative maintenance programs and ensure quality control.
5. Oversees the staff schedule and scheduling of LSS and WQ staff to
ensure proper coverage of equipment maintenance and process system
6. Supervises equipment and water quality adjustments
as needed. Understand and interpret water chemistry reports and results,
and make recommendations for corrections as needed.
7. Provide regular daily, weekly, monthly water quality testing and biogeochemical monitoring, as needed.
8. Oversee all aquarium additions and feeding and maintain quality control regarding animal diets and nutrients as required.
9. Responds to emergency situations and effectively communicates all
issues to the Deputy Director and Director of Marine Research.
10. Maintains LSS and WQ system logs, records and regulations (e.g., IACAC) as needed.
11. Ensures all equipment maintenance is scheduled, performed and documented in a quality and timely manner.
12. Maintains inventory of required spare parts and equipment for all critical LSS systems.
13. Interface with all personnel and researchers to maintain the highest
standards. Fosters working relationships with other institutions and
organizations. Interacts on behalf of the Biosphere 2 with guests,
media, and general public, etc.
14. Assist the Deputy Director and
Director of Marine Research with exhibit modification projects, new
system designs & installation, and coordination with outside sales
personnel and contractors.
15. Provides training of LSS, WQ and Aquarist staff for proper operation and maintenance of LSS equipment and WQ testing.
16. Ensure all staff maintain and adhere to safety policies and procedures.
17. To perform other duties as workload necessitates.
Additional duties as assigned. Minimum QualificationsMinimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is typically required.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.Preferred Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Strong working knowledge of seawater chemistry, specifically in a reef environment.
• Strong maintenance background.
• Must have the ability to diagnose and repair LSS or similar industrial mechanical plant equipment including ozone generators, centrifugal pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors, automated control systems, and all types of filtration systems.
• Above average computer skills.
• Experience running preventative maintenance management software is a plus.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products is a must.
• High proficiency with data management software and possess a high level of quality control on all data management.FLSAExempt Full Time/Part TimeFull TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week40 Job FTE1.0Work CalendarFiscalJob CategoryResearchBenefits EligibleYes - Full Benefits Rate of PayDOE up to $52,000 Compensation Typesalary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE) Grade8 Career Stream and LevelPC3Job FamilyResearch & Lab Job FunctionResearch Type of criminal background check required:Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive) Number of Vacancies1 Target Hire Date Expected End Date Contact Information for CandidatesJohn Adams, [email protected],520-621-3955 Open Date9/25/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to ApplyCurriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.