Automotive Service Tech II
Job no: 514732
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Facilities/Skilled Trades
Department:60950000 - AG-PLANT SCIENCE RESEARCH / ED
Automotive Service Tech IIJob Description:
- Performs complete engine and power train overhauls as well as internal engine maintenance. Has a complete and total understanding of diesel fuel systems applications, calibration, fine tuning and over all maintenance. Performs hydraulic systems repairs and maintenance and possesses skills to trouble shoot test and repair hydraulic and pneumatics operational systems. Utilizes computer aided test and diagnostic equipment to trouble shoot and repair automotive, tractor and heavy equipment electrical systems.
- Performs major and minor repairs as needed to all Heavy Equipment and Farm Tractors and Vehicles. Maintain a computer inventory for service periods, service history and overall equipment condition. Assesses all equipment at least annually and makes recommendations to Director on serviceability and replacement needs. Performs all maintenance on all turf equipment using computerized sharpening tools and setting the heights for multiple grass cutting needs.
- Maintain ASE certification for automotive trouble shooting and repair. Performs necessary procedures and maintains equipment to assure freon recovery and management according to EPA guidelines. Conducts vehicle safety inspections and maintains units at the Plant Science Unit at Citra in safe operating and road worthy condition to meet UF safety standards.
- Operates semi-tractor trailer -- utilized for moving equipment for other units/centers. Has valid Commercial Driver's License and adheres to UF policies governing such. Maintains all semi and heavy road tractor/trailers in DOT legal condition. Operates various types of Heavy Equipment used on farm site as well as serves as a consultant to the Federal Excess Personal Property Program. Assesses overall value of possible acquisition items. Maintain all Semi and Heavy Road tractors and trailers in DOT legal condition. Maintains tool inventory, constantly assess maintenance needs and recommends acquisition of any needed tools or equipment to ensure serviceability and safety of all unit vehicles. Assist with all other programs (Heavy Equipment; FEPP; Event Days; Safety and Training; etc.) managed by unit as needed. Performs other duties related to research crop production as required and assigned by research coordinators. Maintain all portable and set generators for emergency power outages. Perform monthly checks on set generators. Helps in catastrophic events around the state with emergency response for IFAS. Cleans heavy equipment, tractors/implements, unit vehicles and work area.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Forklift certification to be obtained within 6 months of hire, valid Florida CDL Class A driver’s license. ASE Certified in G1 series (Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification) and a T series (Medium-Heavy Truck Certification) to be obtained within 6 months of hire
Working conditions can be noisy, hot and dusty at times. Some travel may be required. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Job requires, standing, kneeling, bending, climbing, stooping and walking.
High school diploma or equivalent, completion of an apprenticeship and/or formal training program, and two years of relevant experience. Appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Knowledge of heavy equipment maintenance requirements. Skilled in performing repairs and maintenance of heavy equipment. Skilled in the use of hand tools. Ability to inspect heavy equipment and vehicles, recommend or take corrective action as required. Ability to work with limited supervision. Ability to communicate well with others. Skilled knowledge of all farm implements used in research. Knowledge and ability to perform arithmetical calculations. Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments Ability to pay attention to details. Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with others.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 25 Sep 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 16 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time