Academic Advisor, #29587
Location: Cottleville, MO, USA
Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience
Pay Type: Salary
Employment Type: Full-Time Staff
St. Charles Community College is located just west of St. Louis, nestled in the heart of growing St. Charles County. Established in 1986, SCC is a public, comprehensive two-year community college offering associate degrees and certificate programs in the arts, business, sciences and career-technical fields. SCC also provides workforce training and community-based personal and professional development as well as cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities.
We are seeking a full-time Academic Advisor who will clarify student educational goals, explain and recommend appropriate course work and academic pathways based on those goals, identify the programs at the College that meet goals, build short term and long term academic plans to reach goals; and develop, assist, support and facilitate student success at the College. The Academic Advisor will instruct and inform students on College navigation, processes and policies.Full-time staff benefits:
- Employer credit applied towards medical, dental, and vision insurance and much more!Generous paid time off: vacation, sick, personal days, and college recognized holidaysParticipation in the Public Education Employee Retirement System (PEERS)Tuition waiver and reimbursement
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides comprehensive academic advising services to new, transfer, continuing, and future students. Services will be delivered in one to one, online, group, and telephone settings. This position will have current knowledge of all college programs, transfer information to other colleges, College scholarship opportunities, and a basic understanding of federal financial aid.
- In the advising setting, clarifies student educational goals, instructs students on the appropriate pathway to reach those goals, works in collaboration with the student to build a course pathway plan to complete those goals, and assist with the navigation process to complete those goals which includes all aspects of registration.
- Explains and guides students through the process of understanding placement test results and any resulting course placements or restrictions. This position must maintain accurate and current knowledge of college programs and be able to convey that information to students in light of their placement test results.
- This position is actively involved in intentional, proactive contacts and interventions with students to facilitate student success and completion. Contacts and interventions will be done on an individual, group, and electronic basis and data on the outcomes of these interactions will be maintained.
- Actively participates in the design and implementation of student on boarding and engagement programs for all types of students.
- Assists the Director of Academic Advising with student tracking, data collection, unit planning and assessment, and the analysis and presentation of data.
- Assists with division wide planning and projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Required qualifications: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate field of study and two (2) years of experience in a direct service environment in higher education or human resources. Math, writing, effective communication and computer skills are essential. Must be able to operate miscellaneous office equipment such as IBM compatible personal computer, calculator, printer, telephone and copier.
- Preferred qualifications: Two (2) years of experience in higher education student services and Master's degree from an accredited institution.