Senior Web Developer
Senior Web Developer
Job Number: 87378
Senior Web Developer with Stanford Web Services
Job Code: 4874
You create web systems
You are a skilled web developer with 8 or more years of professional experience. You:
- Love creating elegant, viable, and reusable solutions to interesting technical challenges.
- Hold a vision for world-class service delivery agility, and can motivate and energize others to deliver it.
- Enjoy evolving and automating processes for developing, deploying, securing, and monitoring complex web applications and platforms.
- Like to learn new things, because let's face it: things just don't stay the same.
- Get bonus points if you are an active contributor to Drupal and other open source applications.
You can get behind the goal of doing things right, which means:
- You pay attention to details and know how to keep track of multiple priorities, getting them done successfully in collaboration with a group of other talented people.
- You value a collaborative development workflow with paired development, code reviews, and version control.
- You respect the interdependence of development and IT operations and emphasize communication, collaboration, and automation to support productivity, frequent iterations, and a dynamic infrastructure.
- You are a passionate defender of technical standards, especially web security and accessibility.
- You like to zoom out sometimes and think about the larger picture of how you work.
Here's what you'll do
As Senior Web Developer, you'll be responsible for executing the development and technical architecture strategy for complex web applications and products, and collaborating with others in University IT and across the campus on Stanford's evolving web, authentication, and authorization infrastructure. You will work closely with clients, partners, and team members to advance our growing web platforms, including:
Custom development support (40%)
- You'll develop, improve, and document code (e.g., Drupal modules and themes) on complex custom projects for clients.
- You'll develop, improve, and document code, features, and installation profiles for services (e.g., the Drupal-based Stanford Sites Jumpstart) and platforms (e.g., Stanford Sites Drupal content management system).
- You'll look for opportunities to reuse custom components created for client work, folding them into the underlying framework to benefit the greater campus community.
- You'll review code for functionality, accessibility, security, and maintainability.
- You'll lead and design systems for interfacing with 3rd party APIs, as well as lead and design APIs for consumption by 3rd party systems and people.
- You'll mentor and coach fellow team members, including producers and developers.
Platform Support (40%)
- You'll work with cross-functional teams to support standardization, automation, and efficient development practices - including effective version control and configuration management - to maintain consistent performance of web applications and platforms.
- You'll work with cross-functional teams to explore and develop new SaaS and PaaS systems as Stanford's web publishing needs evolve.
- You'll partner with the Senior Web Developer, Technical Architecture Lead, and Senior Web Developer, DevOps Lead, to establish a strong operational model, maintaining a productive and balanced environment where developers can be successful as our services expand.
- You'll embody the agile spirit through active participation in daily scrum, weekly development sprint meetings, and project and sprint retrospectives.
System support (10%):
- You'll respond to operations-related issues affecting web services and work with others to communicate to technical staff and customers when needed.
- You'll participate in an on-call rotation to monitor overall service availability as well as performance of priority applications during critical periods.
- You'll support colleagues, partners, and customers on questions around complex authentication, domain, platform, and other development-related issues.
Community engagement (5%):
- You'll contribute to multiple open-source software projects (e.g., Drupal, WordPress, Behat).
- You'll participate in Stanford's Communities of Practice to support an open and sharing environment with our peers.
Professional development (5%):
- You'll keep your skills sharp through attending conferences and training.
Web Developer 4
Design, develop, and manage web applications, databases, and interfaces; manage web development projects and participate in cross-organizational technology strategy teams.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning with regard to web development, with the goal of identifying future needs, means of resolving these needs, possible obstacles, and necessary courses of action.
- Act as project leader on large-scale web projects in which strong technical, directional, and personal leadership is necessary.
- Provide thorough analysis of relevant factors to plan upgrades, patch installation, and configuration; prototype new user interfaces for web applications and services.
- Develop and deploy web applications that interact with relational database management systems and integrate with Stanford's web, authentication, and authorization infrastructure.
- Develop and deploy dynamic client-side web interface components and collaboration technologies, such as wikis, blogs, social networking, and third party technologies.
- Design and document data structures, architecture, and process flows for websites, web-based applications, and databases. Prepare complex technical documentation.
- Recommend client-specific programming and development strategies.
- Create, review, and audit procedures to implement Stanford security policies and practices, including Restricted Data classifications and minimum web server and web application security policies. Conduct security reviews of applications and platforms.
- Recommend, evaluate, and monitor current Internet technologies, web-related programming languages, and software technologies.
- Develop and enforce programming and application design standards.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to develop a vision for computing needs and to develop appropriate plans to meet these needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and work as a member of a development team.
- Ability to identify, clarify and resolve complex problems which may span multiple areas or technical fields.
- Ability to use a proactive approach to problem solving to develop preventive measures.
- Working knowledge of LAMP stack, including OS, web server, and database systems.
- Demonstrated experience with deploying and scaling applications in a cloud environment (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Acquia, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management (e.g., Git, Subversion, etc.)
- Working knowledge of automated testing and continuous integration (e.g., Behat, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience developing websites and applications using open source tools.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of development environments.
- Expert programming skills, including the ability to write, compile, test, debug, and deploy software on multiple platforms and web servers.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of authentication technologies and software security concepts.
- Experience with delivering finished sites/applications to clients and responding to their needs for quality control, follow up service, and maintenance.
- Familiarity with browser devices and platform differences and idiosyncrasies, and ability to develop workarounds to accommodate specialized user/client needs and device platforms.
- Ability to direct a team and serve as a team leader.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, https://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4453
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 87378
Location: Business Affairs: University IT (UIT), Redwood City, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency