CDU Strives for EXCELLENCE! Join a team of diverse professionals and start your career today with Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. We are seeking extraordinary and dedicated individuals to achieve the mission that drives us all: to cultivate diverse health professional leaders are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations…. As a member of CDU faculty, or staff you’ll achieve EXCELLENCE in a welcoming community of passionate medical school professionals.
At CDU we are seeking a talented Instructional Designer.
Under the direction of the Executive Director for Faculty Development and Assessment, the Instructional Designer provides support to faculty, programs, and schools in the development and conversion of courses and programs to innovative online and other technology-assisted educational venues and/or face-to-face courses utilizing cutting-edge and creative design and course delivery options. Responsibilities include analysis, design, development, and implementation of online courses, web-based learning, and face-to-face education curricula; proactive consultation with subject matter experts to identify and analyze learning objectives, content, and instructional approaches; draft storyboards and mock-ups; and develop instructional materials and learning resources as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify the issues and learning needs of faculty and students to develop online education solution models and products.
- Assist faculty with assessing effectiveness of face-to-face, hybrid and online formats in applying systematic design models and principles to achieve aimed learning outcomes.
- Assist individuals and instructional teams in assessing, designing, producing, and implementing quality online instructional models and tools by application of evidence-based frameworks and best-practice strategies.
- Collaborate, assist, develop and participate in the facilitation of competency development workshops and seminars, particularly with regard to online course design, and technology-enhanced instruction.
- Ensure the readiness of faculty and students in the use of online learning systems by developing and offering training programs.
- Troubleshoot technical problems via reported user issues in learning systems.
- Apply research and theory to the discipline of instructional design for improving the quality of health professions education.
- Research current and emerging techniques and technologies for online learning and make recommendations for strategic management regarding updates and changes in instructional technologies
- Performs other job duties as assigned or requested
- Master's degree in instructional design, educational technology, or related fields from a regionally accredited institution.
- 3+ years of experience with current course authoring tools, website design, video technology and editing, multimedia tutorial development, web-conferencing tools related to eLearning design productions and services.
- Expert with Blackboard (preferred), Canvas, or other proprietary Learning Management System.
- Quality Matters and/or Online Learning Consortium certification(s) in online course design and/or delivery (preferred).
- Abilities to apply adult learning principles and assessment methods for developing professional competency-based online instructional materials and tools (preferred).
- Experience consulting and collaborating with a variety of academic units, and ability to train the instructors of content experts in developing online courses across disciplines, preferably in STEM fields and health professions education.
- Proficiency in online Learning Management Systems (Blackboard preferred)
- Proficiency using and training the use of various software and hardware for video capture and web-conferencing tools.
- Experience with analytic reporting tools and dashboard display (Microsoft BI preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Window, and Mac
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
- Strong interpersonal skills and work ethic to provide professional services.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous inquiries is paramount to success in this position.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasional stooping. Frequent standing. Constant walking, sitting, climbing, reaching high/low levels, finger movement, feeling, speaking clearly, hearing conversationally, and seeing far and near.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to work in confined space.
- The mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent variety of unrelated tasks. Constant calculating, interrupted work, a variety of interrelated tasks, and use of sustained concentration, reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3636
At Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, our employees' well-being is important to us. CDU continues to offer health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical costs. The program incorporates a variety of benefit plans from which employees can choose. The following summary provides a brief overview and high level summary of the benefits that may be available as a member of the faculty or staff working at least 20 hours per week in a regular or conditional position at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. For more information, visit https://www.cdrewu.edu/academics/facultystaff/Offices/Benefits
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer