Grounds Lead - Sports Turf
Posting DetailsJob TitleGrounds Lead - Sports TurfDepartmentFE&P GroundskeepingFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21091Open Date09/24/2020Close Date10/22/2020Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. with nights and weekends required, as necessary.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The Rice University Facilities, Engineering & Planning (FE&P) grounds team includes thirty-plus professionals who care for our 300-acre tree lined campus in an environmentally sensitive and aesthetically pleasing manner. This dedicated team works throughout the year in all-weather conditions, while caring for our trees, sports fields, gardens and lawns.
The grounds lead performs and leads other in general landscape maintenance including the care of three grass sports fields, one artificial sports turf field, six grass intramural fields; and the common areas/landscape immediately adjacent to both intercollegiate athletic and campus intramural facilities as a critical unit within FE&P Grounds. In this role, the incumbent shares in the leadership and supervisory responsibilities of a small team and uses various vehicles, equipment and machines to perform landscape maintenance, solid waste and furniture moving activities.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education Preferred
Degree in agronomy, landscape management, turfgrass science/management, or related fieldExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related work experience (grounds, custodial, maintenance, trades, etc) with some experience working in a leadership or supervisory capacitySubstitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Related experience with athletic fields (natural grass and synthetic surfaces) and other specialized collegiate sport surfaces
- Related experience with intercollegiate sports fields dimensions and game field layout and marking
- Related experience in higher education
Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.License/Certification Preferred
Certified Grounds Technician (CGT) through Professional Grounds Management Society (PGMS)Skills Required
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good knowledge of grounds maintenance
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of equipment use and maintenance
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Knowledge of NCAA and C-USA compliance rules and regulations
Internal: Frequent contact with supervisor and fellow team members, FE&P employees, and Athletics employees; Contact with Rice students and other members of the Rice community
External: Contact outside the University with vendors, counterparts at other institutions and with participants at seminars and training classes etc., and visitors may frequently seek directionsPhysical Demands
HEAVY – Exert up to 70 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking, standing, lifting and carrying heavy objects up to eight hours per day and multi-limb coordination to operate heavy equipment. Other physical requirements of the job include the ability to bend/crouch/or kneel, see, reach, climb, and balance.Working Conditions
- Work is done outdoors, exposure to inclement weather, extreme temperatures (heat and cold), rain etc.
- May be required to work overtime on occasion
- May be required to attend conferences, seminars, field days and obtain specialized training
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24537Essential Functions
- Operates equipment and various vehicles to perform landscape maintenance including care of sports fields and surrounds
- Maintains landscape plants
- Mows, edges, trims, prunes, rakes, plants, waters, and weeds the turf, trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers on campus
- Cleans assigned areas
- Picks up litter and empties trash cans
- Cleans streets, sidewalks, loading docks, and parking lots
- Fertilizes plants
- Keeps area drain grates clean
- Moves furniture and other items as assigned
- Completes excavating and other manual labor tasks
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Landscape and grounds maintenance of athletic fields and areas (e.g., grass sports fields, artificial sports turf field, grass intramural fields, and common areas)Job Duties Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent, or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three or more years of related work experience (grounds, custodial, maintenance, trades, etc) with some experience working in a leadership or supervisory capacity or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?
- * Describe your relevant experience in grounds/landscaping work. What were some of your responsibilities?
(Open Ended Question)