Adult Education Part-Time Instructor
Send a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references, to [email protected]
Please indicate the job code CT-AEPT in the subject line of your email.
After sending in your documents, please fill out the online Job Applicant Identifier form. RACC is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with government regulations we are required to record numbers of job applicants by sex and ethnic category. We ask that you indicate your race or national origin and sex, but you are not required to provide this information. This information will not be kept with your application and will be used only in accordance with state and federal regulations.Background Check
If you are chosen for this position, a background check will be required. Full details regarding the background check are available here.
Job Details Title:Adult Education Part-Time InstructorAnnounce date:09/23/2020Apply by date:Until filledApplication status:Position FilledPosition type: Part-time Salary:22.05 per hour Working Hours
Working hours for this position consist of hours not to exceed 29 hours per week. Dates and times will vary based on the needs of the program. Flexible schedule, including daytime, evening, and Saturday hours as required by the needs of the position.Summary
The Adult Education Instructor reports to the Director of Literacy Programs who will assign location and hours of the Adult Education classes. The Adult Education Instructor conducts classroom instruction for the assigned Adult Education class..Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for teaching Adult Basic Education, Pre-GED, GED, ESL courses using instructional methods geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting.
- Develop lessons and curriculum based on the learning needs of culturally diverse and multi-skill level students which prepare students to pass the GED tests and/or enhance basic education and language skills
- Develop classroom instruction materials, handouts, PowerPoint materials and other resources relevant to classroom instruction.
- Implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, that include group or individualized instruction as well as computer programs that help students make learning gains.
- Administer student assessments to gauge student literacy skills and progress.
- Complete and maintain appropriate student registration, attendance, and assessment records, and ensure timely submission of data and reports to program director.
- Maintain good communications and working relationships with appropriate staff, appropriate agencies, and class site location staff.
- Maintain good communications and work effectively with all other offices of the college on matters concerning the program.
- Adhere to procedures and policies for the smooth day-to-day operation of the program.
- Participate in teacher meetings and professional development activities as required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education and/or Experience Required
Bachelor's degree and 2 years teaching experience.
Familiarity with literacy programs, testing, and specific needs of adult learners.Communication Skills
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to teach grammar, vocabulary, and the writing of essays, reports, and business correspondence to prepare students for the GED test. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.Mathematical Skills
Ability to teach addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to teach basic algebra and geometry to prepare students for the GED test. Ability to compute and teach rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.Reasoning Ability
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.Computer Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; spreadsheet software, word processing software and power point.Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Teaching (preferred)Other Skills and Abilities
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills required.
Experience with adult education population, curriculum development, mandated welfare reform, and dislocated workers are preferred.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.