Equine & Large Animal Specialty Service Tech Manager
Job no: 514721
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28321000 - VM-HOSPITAL
Large Animal Hospital Veterinary Care ManagerJob Description:
- Specialty Service Management –
- Manages and directs the staff assigned to the specialty services of Surgery, Medicine, and Reproduction.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and discipline as needed.
- Manage staff schedules including on-call, holiday, annual, and sick leave coverage.
- Approve time.
- Train staff on EMR and other regularly utilized software/computer programs.
- Patient Care Services –
- Supervises and participates in daily outpatient, inpatient, and emergency patient care.
- Coordinates daily workflow of cases including charge entry, medical records completion.
- Restrain patients for exams, aid in the positioning of patients for diagnostic purposes, and assist in performing exams, procedures, and treatments.
- Surgical Nursing -
- Supervises and participates as a surgical nurse during routine and emergency procedures; assist with anesthetic inductions and proper preparation of patients for surgery; prepare all items that are needed for surgery; complete and record surgical fee forms, surgical records and enter charges.
- Ensures that the surgical suite is set up properly for emergency procedures; ensures that surgical suites are properly cleaned after surgery; Independently sets up and maintains specialized diagnostic equipment such as: (endoscope, ultrasound, arthroscopy, c-arm, digital x-ray, camera, etc. May be required to assist in anesthesia setup and monitoring during surgeries.
- Also, clean and prepare surgical instruments for sterilization; operate steam sterilizers, ultrasonic cleaner, instrument washer, heat sealer, and other; mechanical, electronic, and surgical equipment.
- Facility, Equipment, and Supply –
- Ensures service areas, supplies and equipment are available, prepared, and in good working order in support of current and future activities.
- Coordinate regularly scheduled checks of medications and supplies for expiration dates.
- Maintains a master log of all service equipment to include purchase date, purchase cost, expected life, estimated replacement time and cost, repair/maintenance dates, and issues.
- Create and maintain equipment weekly service/cleaning log of all electronic equipment with a focus on the loss of use prevention.
- Assist in maintaining compliance with hospital Bio-Security procedures and protocols as they relate to the duties and performance of veterinary service technicians.
- Administration –
- Contributes to the planning and ongoing management of departmental budgets for supervised services.
- Serves as an investigator in the management of the Incident Management Reporting system.
- Supervises the daily census to ensure proper tracking of caseload and revenue related to charges assessed to supervised service patients.
- Acts as liaison with service faculty, house officers, staff, and client services in the daily management of caseload through the Large Animal Hospital.
- Will assist in generating treatment plan estimates.
- Service Operations Education –
- Schedules and coordinates Specialty Service Technician training and continuing education as well as the annual technician skills assessment testing.
- Student Instruction –
- Direct instruction to veterinary students to provide training of veterinary students in proper large animal handling and patient care with a focus on safety.
$45,000 annuallyMinimum Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent and four years of experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses or two years of experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital.
Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT) or Certified Veterinary Practice Manager (CVPM).Preferred Qualifications:
- Appropriate equine VTS Certification or Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Three years of technical experience in the area of specialization related to the position.
- Three years of relevant experience within a veterinary university system.
- Two years of management experience in a veterinary setting.
Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and references required to be considered.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The employee is responsible for maintaining Continuing Education and any other requirements to maintain licensure, certification and/or specialty credentials in the issuing State.
Maintaining proof of current licensure, certification and/or specialty credentials is the responsibility of the employee. Providing such proof is required at each Annual Performance Appraisal.
Advertised: 20 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 26 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time