Large Animal Hospital Service Technician I - Surgery (CARE)
Job no: 514722
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28321100 - VM-SURGERY
Lg An Hosp Service Tchn I - Surgery (CARE)Job Description:
- The primary role of this position is to provide assistance to clinicians with routine and emergency examinations and surgery for patients in the Large Animal Hospital. In support of this role, the incumbent will be responsible for client communications, scheduling, maintaining the day to day operations of the Large Animal Surgery outpatient service, the operating rooms, and managing the supply functions related to them. This is a physically demanding position that requires standing for long periods of time.
- The incumbent will be expected to acquire and retain a working knowledge of surgical instruments, medical terminology, veterinary anatomy and physiology, sterile technique, and decontamination procedures. He/she will be called upon to disassemble and assemble various types of surgical instruments and equipment as well as to aide in the use of that equipment.
- Surgical Nursing Support duties include but are not limited to:
- Assists surgeons and students with anesthetic inductions, surgical prep, and surgical procedures
- Prepares for surgery by independently setting up surgical suites and equipment including specialized diagnostic equipment such as an endoscope, ultrasound, arthroscopy, c-arm, digital x-ray, camera, lasers, etc.
- Ensures that surgical suites are properly cleaned after surgery including implementing and adhering to Hospital Bio-Security procedures and protocols and zoonotic disease control.
- As directed maintains inventory and movement of supplies within the surgery department.
- Surgery Outpatient/Inpatient Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist withholding, restraining, positioning, jogging, flexing and lunging horses throughout the workday as needed
- Performs or assists in patient handling and restraint, medical evaluation, monitoring, treatment, and documentation in the patient medical and treatment records. Responsible for calculating medication doses, drawing and administering medications, and performing specialized procedures relevant to critical care of large animal patients; placement of catheters, arterial blood gas collection, and fluid administration as directed. Also provides additional care of animal patients, such as bathing, hydrotherapy, etc.
- Assist with imaging procedures including radiographs, MRI’s, CT’s, and scintigraphy.
- Collect, prepare, and submit laboratory samples as needed.
- Provide clinical service support by maintaining a supply inventory and replenishing stock within the assigned service, performs maintenance service checks and minor repairs to assigned equipment, maintains a clean/sanitary and functionally organized clinical service area.
- Sterile Supply Technician duties include but are not limited to:
- Clean and prepares surgical instruments for sterilization
- Operates steam sterilizers, ultrasonic cleaner, instrument washer, heat sealer, and other mechanical, electronic, and surgical equipment.
- As directed maintains daily records of equipment operation, quality control checks, instrument inventory, supplies, and test results.
- Distributes sterile equipment and supplies to the operating rooms and other areas of the hospital
- Surgery Service Administrative Support duties include but are not limited to:
- Client communications and scheduling appointments with appropriate clinicians and/or services
- Collects and inputs patient medical history into electronic medical records.
- Entering charges, make and record calls to clients,
- Perform or send out for maintenance service equipment.
$15.00 per hour, commensurate with experienceMinimum Requirements:
High School Diploma and two years of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses or one year of work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital.Preferred Qualifications:
Certification or licensure as a Veterinary TechnicianSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Cover letter, resume/CV, and references required to be considered
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits including health insurance and paid time off.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 05 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 12 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time