Assistant Director of Student Support and Success
The Assistant Director of Student Support and Success will coordinate programs and initiatives to support marginalized and underrepresented students within the Department of Multicultural Life (DML). The Assistant Director will report to the Assistant Dean of Multicultural Life and Director of Student Support and Success and assist in the coordination of programs that promote student success and belonging at Macalester. The Assistant Director will contribute to the MOSAIC peer mentorship program, create programs and workshops, and develop student success resources for underrepresented students, including but not limited to first-generation to college students, low income students, and BIPOC students with particular attention towards Latinx students. Working with the Assistant Dean and Dean of Multicultural Life, the Assistant Director will connect DACA and/or mixed status students with personal, educational, and legal supports to maintain immigration and/or legal status.Responsibilities
- Plans and develops programs, events, and monthly dialogues that promote curricular and co-curricular success for underrepresented students, specifically first-generation, low income and BIPOC students.
- Assists in the coordination of the MOSAIC Mentorship Program
- Recruits, hires and supervises student employees to increase their leadership skills
- Assists in building success networks across campus among students, staff, and faculty and makes appropriate referrals for pertinent resources.
- Assists with developing new activities and initiatives that promote curricular and co-curricular integration
- Assists DACA and mixed-status students with personal, educational and legal supports
- Develops and implements marketing and publicity strategies that connect students with opportunities and resources.
- Participates in committees and other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements Bachelor’s Degree and 3 or more years of professional experience within an education setting working with underrepresented students and developing diversity programs related to social justice topics, LGBTQ+ dynamics, and multiculturalism.
- Candidates will have a Master’s Degree in higher education, student personnel, or equivalent; plus 1 or more years of experience in a higher education setting working with underrepresented students and developing diversity programs and services.
- Demonstrated ability working in a team environment and showing initiative to create and complete projects
- Experience working with underrepresented student populations, particularly Latinx and DACA and mixed status students
- High energy to build relationships with students, academic departments, and administrative departments
- Program development and event planning experience
- Strong leadership, communication, and facilitation skills
For consideration, please submit your resume through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by October 5, 2020. Review of applications will begin immediately. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.