Director Small Business Development Center
Posting DetailsSecurity Sensitive Statement
This position is security sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Position TitleDirector Small Business Development CenterPosition Number800521-2Posting Number201500103PStart Date09/23/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions To Applicants
The application must be completed in full detail (including work history) for your qualifications to be considered. An incomplete application will not be considered. Your application is not complete until you receive an online confirmation number at the end of the application process.
The following documents are requested: letter of interest addressing position requirements, resume, unofficial copies of official transcripts and licenses (if applicable), and name, phone number, and e-mail addresses of three (3) professional references.
In compliance with House Bill 558 passed during the 76th Legislative session, Lamar State College – Port Arthur requires that all male U.S. citizens from 18 to 26 years of age provide proof of registration with the Selective System or exemption from such registration, prior to employment.
If you have questions, please contact the Human Resources Office at (409) 984-6237.
Lamar State College-Port Arthur is an E-Verify Employer.
The Director for the SBDC will report to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Regional Director, U of H Gulf Coast SBDC for job responsibilities and other College related activities as outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
The Director assists in coordinating business seminars, consulting entrepreneurs regarding their business needs, developing business relationships with local financial institutions, promoting the Center to the public, overseeing the federal and state budgets allotted to the Center, participates in various training functions of the SBDC lead center at University of Houston and oversees the reporting of the Center’s activities.
Travel over the assigned service area is expected. Some after-hours and weekend duties may be necessary, but is rare. Use of a personal vehicle for travel will be required.Minimum Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum seven years business management experience. Experience must include either business consulting / advising or direct entrepreneurial experience in launching and operating a small business. Business development experience required.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, CRM database knowledge, and industry and market research skills. Knowledge must include marketing, financing/capital formation, human resources, budgeting and accounting, strategic planning, and other operational areas necessary to assist clients in starting a business and/or manage a growing business.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships with individual clients, private entities, chambers, corporations, entrepreneurial and banking/investment communities.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, handling multiple projects and meeting assigned annual metrics.
• Strong interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, and public speaking and training skills.
• MBA and/or CPA certification
• Applicable certifications are desired, including Certified Global Business Professional.
• Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities.
• Understand how to work successfully as a team within all levels of the organization and know how to contribute to the mission of the college.
Knowledge of tax forms and regulations. Knowledge of payroll and business taxes. Knowledge of business accounting systems. Skills in marketing. Ability to deal with public in a professional, courteous manner. Ability to deal with public in a professional, courteous manner. Ability to understand and perform complex oral and written instructions with little or no supervision. Ability to perform detailed work rapidly and accurately. Knowledge of Word and Excel. High degree of communication skills, written and spoken. Ability to deal with students, faculty and staff in professional manner. Must be able to demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of clients from diverse backgrounds. Ability to plan, schedule, and manage projects and assignments. Ability to establish effective working relationships with others. Ability to follow established college policies and procedures.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, see and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, kneel, bend, and twist upper body. The employee must regularly carry and lift up to 10 pounds, and move up to 10 pounds.SALARY Commensurate with experienceWork Hours40 hours a week; Occasional evenings and weekends. Essential Job Functions Essential Job Functions
Provide overall management of the SBDC in accordance with the established federal, state, and local guidelines. Provide business advising and training to small businesses and entrepreneurs in several surrounding cities. Supervise business advisors, and an administrative assistant on a day-to-day basis.Essential Job Functions
Will be involved in the operational role for the center. Conduct client advising sessions, perform financial, operational and administrative analyses, and prepare recommendations that result in positive economic impact. Assistance includes but is not limited to analyzing the specific business and industry data in finance, marketing, management and operations; human resources and related issues; supporting the development of business plans and financial packages, calculating and interpreting historical and projected financial ratios, preparing pro forma cash flow and financial statements; troubleshooting to identify problems and areas for improvement. The position may include providing guidance on expansion, such as foreign markets and technology commercialization.Essential Job Functions
Represent the SBDC in the service area by actively participating in community events to include events of the chambers, EDC’s, and other civic organizations.Essential Job Functions
Develop and facilitate training workshops for area entrepreneurs and businesses.Essential Job Functions
Meet and/or exceed annual assigned performance metrics both individually, and collectively with the business advisors to meet SBDC center goals.Essential Job Functions
Responsible for budget development and management, technical and performance reporting as required by Lamar State College – Port Arthur, internal audit, and the UH Texas Gulf Coast Network. Manage client records via specified client tracking system.Essential Job Functions
Initiate, build, and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to include the SBA and its resource partners, Chambers of Commerce, economic development organizations, and lenders.Essential Job Functions
Participate in annual professional development to enhance knowledge and skills in support of position and college mission.Essential Job Functions
Serve the institution through participation on campus committeesEssential Job Functions
Responsible for coordinating with faculty, as appropriate, to engage students on targeted SBDC client projects.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- 0-1 year
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5-7 years
- 7 or more years
- * Describe experience that you have managing/supervising in an office environment.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience in public speaking?
- * Please list all certifications you hold.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a Certified Public Accountant?
- * Do you have a valid Texas Drivers License and a good driving record?
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Curriculum Vitae
- Selective Service
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Transcripts 2
- Transcripts 3