LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (BIOLOGY/USDA)
To perform routine laboratory research and administrative duties.
Responsible for performing laboratory procedures, recording procedure results, purchasing, laboratory organization, and training of student researchers.
• Prepares laboratory analyses and reports test results.
• Collects and processes specimens for analyses including proper handling of paperwork.
• Evaluates sample results.
• Prepares, processes and collects samples.
• Sterilizes lab equipment and lab environment.
• Disinfects complete samples and lab environment.
• Keeps inventory and orders lab supplies.
• Prepares chemical solutions and growth media.
• Maintains lab equipment.
• Maintains records for the lab.
• Aids in preparation of manuscripts for publication and poster presentations for scientific conferences.
• May perform other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
Close supervision from assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
Aids in supervising student researchers.Required Education
High school diploma or equivalent.Preferred Education
College level class work in Biology or Chemistry.Licenses/Certifications
May be required to have All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) safety certificate or obtain within 6 months of start date.Required Experience
• One (1) year of experience with laboratory and/or scientific procedures or
• Eighteen (18) hours of college level Biology and/or chemistry courses.Preferred Experience
Proficiency in the use of PCs and other standard office equipment. Experience with standard laboratory equipment.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Normal laboratory conditions. Occasionally requires working with hazardous chemicals, equipment and materials or in hazardous environments.Other
May require some evening and/or weekend hours. Occasional travel is required. Must be able to work cooperatively with a team of other researchers.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment CategoryFull-TimeMinimum SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosted SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Available Date09/23/2020Grant Funded PositionYesIf Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date08/31/2021EEO Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25816Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Training Certificates
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts