Research Software Engineer
The University of Arizona’s BIO5 Institute’s CyVerse team is looking for Software Engineers. CyVerse is the National Science Foundation’s premier data management platform, working to design, deploy, and expand a national cyberinfrastructure for life sciences research and train scientists in its use. This initiative brings together biologists, computer and information scientists and engineers, as well as experts from other disciplines, all working on integrated teams. CyVerse staff tackle prevailing computational and data-centric problems associated with providing large-scale research infrastructure for life science research.
We are seeking talented software engineers to join our Cloud Native Services team who will work with other software engineers, computer scientists, and project managers to develop software solutions for CyVerse’s cloud native services platform. This position will collaborate with team members from participating institutions, support and extend a high profile, open source multi-cloud orchestration software targeting the scientific research community. We seek highly-motivated individuals with an appetite to learn about new technologies, ability to perform in team environments, flexible attitude, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
•Demonstrable ability to meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
•Have a mindset to collaborative with management, user experience designers, and other software engineers
•Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Must have an excellent customer service attitude
Candidates may be asked to provide examples of prior scripts or source code.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development, support, and maintenance of an open source software for the research community.
- Gather and identify software requirements from CyVerse staff, developers, and users.
- Implement software according to the project requirements, specifications, and timelines.
- Benchmark and analyze the performance of the web applications and its associated components.
- Contribute to the development of professional processes, procedures, and standards for delivering quality products in a timely fashion.
- Work with other software engineers to document and promote best practices and software design patterns.
- Provide or update relevant software documentation.
- Evaluate and research software technologies as necessary.
- Provide support to users and create end-user documentation as needed.
- Mentor, guide, and review the development of other software engineers, facilitating the team's efforts to meet project requirements and timelines.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience required.
- Experience in using and development RESTful APIs, modeling contemporary best practices e.g. OpenAPI and Swagger
- Experience with contemporary software development tools and processes, such as git, CI/CD, and containerized deployments
- Experience in web-based networking communication, protocols, and security issues
- Experience with creating software using databases, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, or Neo4j
- Experience in a technical lead role for a software project while successfully meeting the software requirements and deadlines for the project
- Experience developing using microservices, containerized services, or distributed systems, including using with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience or strong understanding of event-driven services and architecture
- Experience debugging, monitoring, benchmarking, and optimizing the performance of web applications
- Experience in automating deployments using CI/CD, container orchestration, or ansible
- Experience in software development in a Linux environment, including management of underlying Linux network services is beneficial
- Experience with full-stack development
[email protected] Open Date9/23/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to ApplyResume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to ApplicantAs this recruitment progresses, candidates may be asked to provide examples of prior scripts or source code. Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.