University Program Specialist
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190722SPInternal RecruitmentNoWorking TitleUniversity Program SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range$50,000 - $60,000Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8am - 5pmJob LocationRaleigh, NCDepartmentOffice of Research & Innovation (ORI)About the Department
The Office of Research and Innovation is the lead administrator of the university’s research enterprise. We work to lead and spark research innovation in many ways, such as operating key core facilities, providing seed grants and defining the university’s research mission through strategic research areas.
This position will be housed within the Integrated Support Service Center (ISSC), which provides proposal, financial and administrative support for Office of Research and Innovation’s centers and institutes as well as principal investigators across the university who are not affiliated with a college research office. Streamlining these services eliminates costly duplication and creates efficiencies.
We grow and promote the world-class research enterprise at NC State. By strategically directing the research environment, cultivating alliances, catalyzing excellence in graduate education, and providing effective support to the research community, ORI enables the creation, application, and dissemination of new knowledge and future leaders that influence our state, nation and world.
NC State is a world-class research university built on the tradition of innovation and collaboration. Our identity is based on a reputation for excellence in research while our teaching is enhanced by the presence of a strong research culture.Essential Job Duties
The primary purpose of the University Program Specialist is to provide consultation and oversight with regards to the development, preparation, processing and management of sponsored program proposals and awards during the pre-award and post-award phases of a project’s lifecycle. This includes but is not limited to: consultation regarding funding solicitation interpretation, proposal development, budget and budget justification development, creation of PINS records, submission of proposals via sponsor specific online portals, pre-award requests coordination with SPARCS, consultation/training regarding cost share and non-effort cost share setup and tracking, directing cost transaction/voucher review and approval, and monthly account monitoring, consult with clients when budgetary or any other changes need to be made to the project, coordinate/initiate necessary requests for changes to the project and coordination/initiation of project closeouts. The individual in this position should possess thorough knowledge of university, state and federal regulations regarding sponsored programs, and be able to independently provide consultation based on this knowledge.
This position will report directly to the Integrated Support Service Center (ISSC) Director of Research Administration.Other Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventMinimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications
1. Experience in research or business administrative functions
2. Experience in accounting, auditing or business administration
3. Familiarity with Circulars of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
4. Experience in research administration at a college or university
5. Experience in the proposal review and oversight and fiscal and administrative management of complex agreements and relationships with external research sponsors
We would prefer a candidate that has at least two years of experience in working with sponsored program proposals at a large research university.
Experience at public, land grant, research extensive universityRequired License or Certification
N/AValid NC Driver's License requiredNoCommercial Driver's License Required?NoJob Open Date09/22/2020Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)09/29/2020Notice to ApplicantsSpecial Instructions
Applicants should upload to their application the following:
1) Cover letter
3) Contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history listed on your resume.Position Number00102235Position TypeSHRAPosition Classification Band TitleUniversity Program SpecialistPosition Classification Band LevelJourneyPosition Classification Salary Range$31,888 - $80,223Salary Grade Equivalency63Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory DesignationNot ApplicableTime Limited PositionNoTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable)Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment Id060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the University Program Specialist position.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of related experience
- Master's degree or Doctorate in any field
- Associate's degree and at least 3 years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related area to equal at least 5 years (ex: 1 year of college and 4 years of experience)
- High school diploma/GED and at least 5 years of related experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 9 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 8 years experience)
- None of the above
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References