Director of Student Life
Posting DetailsJob TitleDirector of Student LifeDepartmentGraduate & Postdoctoral StudiesFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21103Open Date09/23/2020Close DateSalary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Some evenings and occasional weekends related to programming.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
The director of student life is a new position primarily created to support graduate students around issues that affect their well-being and to promote high quality student life including the development and cultivation of graduate student community for doctoral students at Rice.
The director of student life will proactively engage graduate students in initiatives that will promote well-being and help foster community among students with similar interests and facing similar obstacles. This position will also work with Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and university partners to improve non-academic aspects of graduate student life. Such engagement may include being the advisor to small and large student clubs (or coaching other staff and faculty to advise well), developing stand-alone events, as well as developing and curating existing online content to facilitate graduate student community.
This position will design, administer, manage, and evaluate programs related to graduate student life. This position will also engage other university partners in the development and marketing of student life opportunities.
The director of student life must be thoroughly professional. The director must be able to relate to students warmly but with an authority appropriate to an advisory role, and capable of building productive relationships with multiple constituencies including staff, faculty, other offices, and community leaders. In order to meet the challenges of the role, the director of student life must work collaboratively, be detail-oriented, and possess foresight to increase the likelihood of project and community success. The director must understand the context of this role and extracurricular graduate student life in the broader picture of graduate life and scholarship at Rice and act accordingly.
The director of student life will also work with the GPS on other projects related to student life at Rice, including the graduate commencement ceremonies.Education RequiredMaster's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required5 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in university student life.Substitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Five years of experience in graduate student life
- Experience advising, training, or developing students
- Experience working with graduate students
- Experience coordinating programs in a higher education setting
- Experience developing and distributing online presentations
- Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills; independence and initiative; pro-active attitude towards students
- Ability to develop and initiate community building strategies on university campuses and other contexts
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent data analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Ability to relate effectively with students both in person and online.
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Strategic skills to craft and implement project plans
- Excellent attention to detail
- Commitment to promote a positive work environment for all
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of managing budgets and developing financial plans
- Ability to foster organizational change
Frequent interaction by phone and in person with various contingencies including students, faculty, and staff.Physical Demands
- Limited weekend/evening work associated with major events and programs
- Evening/weekend work when interaction with students is necessary to foster community and business hours are not conducive to relationship building
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24648Essential Functions
- Leads the development and implementation of programs to promote graduate student engagement, integration, and the development of student-driven initiatives and community
- Develops opportunities for engagement for graduate students, with the aim of helping students feel that Rice is the right fit for them and to foster their overall well-being
- Collaborates with faculty and / or staff leadership to design programs and establish long range strategic and operational plans
- Identifies and implements program changes to ensure alignment with mission and program effectiveness
- Devises and manages financial and budgetary plans for the program(s), approves and monitors expenditures
- Oversees information distribution as it relates to graduate student life and student community development to foster awareness of campus opportunities; manages recruitment activities related to graduate student life for prospective students
- Performs all other duties as appropriate
- Offers advice, coaching, and models for graduate student engagement to graduate programs and student leadership to foster community within the graduate program
- Produces progress reports on program initiatives, identifies gaps in programming and unreached populations and proactively works to address these gaps
- Works as an advisor and mentor to some student groups, assists in the identification of additional student group advisors
- Represents GPS and Rice in committees and at external professional venues
- Responsible for the Doctoral Convocation ceremony and manages all functions surrounding this event and other graduate commencement events
- May have the opportunity to teach a course, seminar or workshop
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master’s degree?
- * Do you have five years of related experience in university student life?