Administrative Specialist I
Job no: 514685
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Office/Clerical
Department:17050300 - BA-PURC
Administrative Specialist IJob Description:
Administrative responsibilities for PURC and Digital Markets Initiative:
- Supports Associate Director in all aspects of the center’s management and of providing services to clients.
- Manages the center’s administrative activities in consultation with Associate Director and on occasion with the director.
- Works in close proximity with DMI’s coordinator in all administrative aspects related to the initiative.
- Researches, compiles and analyzes data for administrative action by the center’s Associate Director.
- Attends necessary training sessions to keep updated on the new PeopleSoft policies, procedures, etc. relating to the center, department, college and university.
- Keeps center staff abreast of policy changes and important information pertaining to the university and to their positions.
- Creates and maintains training manuals to assist in the absence of employee.
- Acts as a UF resource person for the center and DMI. Acts as contact between the center and other units on campus such as the College of Business Dean’s Office, UF Human Resources Office, etc.
- Takes responsibility for completing and submitting college and university reports as needed in a timely manner.
- Manages grant applications and processes in UFirst and/or as required.
- Completes the space allocation certification.
- Researches and makes recommendations to purchase office equipment, computers, etc.
- Processes domestic and international travel for center employees and associates.
- Performs general office duties such as answering the phone, arranging parking tokens for visitors, receiving packages, coordinates arrangements for visiting scholars as needed, etc.
Financial Planning, Purchasing and Grant Management for PURC and DMI:
- In all financial responsibilities, the administrative specialist I works closely with PURC’s team members and associates of the DMI initiative on project income statements.
- Works with DMI budget manager and enters non-payroll expenses in QuickBooks for this project.
- Monitors university and center financial records. Makes corrections when appropriate. Provides input and recommendations to the Associate Director and other center personnel regarding budget requirements, revenue and expenditures and center activities.
- Manages receipts in collaboration with others in PURC’s administrative team.
- Manages deposits in DOCE, and deposits sponsor checks in UFF, etc.
- Determines and completes fund transfers between the appropriate accounts to make sure all expenses and payroll are adequately covered. Sets up new accounts if necessary.
- Manages all aspects of payroll distribution for center employees and associates when applicable. Completes all PeopleSoft ePAF transactions for the center.
- Oversees correct usage of all purchasing cards (P-Cards). Reviews the distribution of P-card charges and/or approves P-card transactions for the center and its initiatives.
- Manages all purchasing functions. This includes:
- Processing requisitions, purchase orders, vouchers, receiving and asset management
- Project costs to funding source and post to college and department accounting systems.
- Manages UFirst process as needed.
- Ensures that costs are allowable on the project, gift or grant.
- Monitors expenditures on accounts.
- Maintains purchasing files ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Handles problems and investigate discrepancies.
- Advises PI of end-of-grant and directs allocation of remaining balances.
- Processes all necessary transactions for contracts and grant accounts.
- Monitors all aspects of these accounts, from the award notification to accounts established, to monitoring funds to ensure appropriate expenditures and close out of accounts.
Personnel Responsibilities for PURC and DMI:
- Initiates and processes all types of personnel hires and appointments domestic and international in accordance with UF’s regulations. This includes assembling and maintaining personnel documents, entering appointments into PeopleSoft, and working directly with the employees to complete necessary forms.
- Processes payroll distributions, letters of appointment, hiring, evaluations and dismissals.
- Maintains employees’ files, approves time and leave for payroll processing.
- Manages faculty searches and staff vacancies.
- Manages Faculty Activity Reports and Conflicts of Interest. Manages Effort Reporting for center personnel.
- Maintains an organized filing system of employee personnel files and documents, ensuring employee confidentiality at all times.
- Serves as a liaison between employees and University of Florida Human Resources.
- Approves payroll in consultation with Associate Director and monitors approval of time and leave and resolves problems.
- Keeps abreast of UF human resources and hiring policies, and ensures the correct hiring procedures are being followed.
- Processes pay increases, payroll retributions, FTE changes, etc. as required.
Other Miscellaneous Duties:
- Offers support to center programs, events and projects as needed.
- Organizes or assists in the organization of internal center events such as center retreats.
- Duties as assigned by the Associate Director and Director.
$19.50 - $22.00 hourly commensurate with experience.Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- PeopleSoft Experience
- Grants administration experience
- Knowledge of UF accounting principles, practices and procedures
- Knowledge of UF financial planning management
- Knowledge of the UF human resources system
- General computer proficiency
- Strong computer skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Outlook) applications
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Good communications skills
- Good business writing skills
- Ability to plan and coordinate a multitude of responsibilities
- Ability to set priorities
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to interpret and communicate policies, regulations and procedures
- Ability to learn new software
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to prioritize and manage diverse tasks.
- Ability to collect, evaluate and analyze data relating to administrative functions such as accounting, personnel, purchasing or report writing
- Ability to organize appropriate records management system
- Ability to safeguard confidential/sensitive material
- Professional demeanor
- Appreciation of other cultures
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 22 Sep 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 05 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time