Financial Aid Counselor I
Job Vacancy AnnouncementFunctional TitleFinancial Aid Counselor IPosition TypeClassifiedAppointment TypeRegularFTE %
100%Work Schedule (if atypical)Job Description Summary
The Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for counseling students/prospective students and families on financial aid processes, requirements, and aid eligibility to support the recruitment and retention goals of the University. The counselor independently processes many components of the life cycle of a financial aid applicant/recipient. This may involve determining aid eligibility using both federal and institutional methodologies, working directly with students and families, and having a clear and comprehensive understanding of Federal Title IV regulations as well as state and institutional policies.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you’re passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!Specific Duties
- Provide timely and accurate counseling and advisement to all La Verne students/prospective students and families within a student-centered service culture with the goal to deliver exceptional services and outreach in support of recruitment and retention of the La Verne student.
- Supports policies, procedures, systems and controls as necessary in light of changing and dynamic organizational needs, changes in federal and state regulations, and changes in institutional policies to promote the delivery of student-centered services and excellent customer service to the La Verne students and their families.
- Conducts financial aid appointments, assists students with financial aid applications, counsels and advises students and parents regarding available financial aid programs. Financial aid counseling services, in person, by phone or email.
- Internal outreach and student advocacy work in residence halls, teams, or groups requesting group training/support.
- Participation in university recruitment events; Coordination of and participation in local area college nights/workshops; Liaison support efforts with Athletics, Study Abroad, Housing etc.
- Collaborate effectively with University departments to actively support student recruitment and retention of all populations of La Verne students, including but not limited to the Law School, ROC and other academic units
- Provide targeted student cohort support in areas of Veterans Affairs, Foster Youth, and Undocumented students.
- Supports counseling efforts and communication strategies for the office, including but not limited to the website, self-service portal and routine and non-standard email communications to students/prospective students, and parents regarding the aid application, pending requirements, the awarding processes, Satisfactory Academic Progress, appeals, aid disbursement, etc.
- Support as needed, the reception area and staff where duties include greeting visitors, answering phone, receiving documents, etc.
- Contribute as needed in the document management efforts including receipt of inbound documents, document imaging and indexing, tracking documents in the OFA’s Financial Aid Management System (FAM), routing documents as appropriate.
- Review and process Student Eligibility documentation (C-Flags)
- Independently process student financial aid revision requests, as well as proration of financial aid awards as needed.
- Assist with financial aid reports to clear students for awarding and/or disbusrement according to federal, state, and institutional policy and procedure.
- Participate in outbound call campaigns.
- Ensures timely, effective service to students, families, and other constituencies on all financial aid and auxiliary service matters (admissions, registrar, student accounts, residential life and student employment.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma and 6 years experience in higher education, or a Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years experience and passion for providing exceptional customer service preferably within higher education.
- 1 year of experience working in a highly regulated environment with a commitment to statutory and regulatory compliance; preferably within financial aid.
- 1 year of experience managing multiple competing priorities working with several constituencies.
- 1 year of experience collaborating with multiple constituencies in a complex environment focusing on providing excellent customer service.
- 1 year of experience in public speaking
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public. Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, by phone, in person, and in writing. Ability to represent the department and University in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner at all times.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and/or verify information accurately.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to professionally represent the University of La Verne at outreach/presentation events.
- Knowledge of Higher education
- Experience in financial aid
- Working experience with technology in higher education systems, preferably Ellucian Banner
- Bilingual in Spanish
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous 10% contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.U.S. News & World Report rates La Verne Online No. 1 in California for the third consecutive year and 24th best in the country. Washington Monthly’s 2016 “America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners” rankings place La Verne No. 3 among private, 4-year institutions in California.
La Verne is Tier 1 in U.S. News 2017 “America’s Best Colleges” National University rankings for the seventh straight year, and again made Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” rating (WASC Accredited).LocationLa Verne Central CampusNumber of Vacancies1Posting Number2018-190687SASpecial Instructions to ApplicantsOpen DateClose DateOpen Until FilledYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Referred by University of La Verne Employee
- University of La Verne Website
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2