Director of CLT & Histotechnology Programs
Director of CLT & Histotechnology Programs
Job no: 493546
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Role: Director of CLT & Histotechnology Programs
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Rate of Pay:$66,075
Job Summary:An employee in this classification performs work of considerable difficulty in the organization, administration, periodic review, planning, policy development, fiscal management, purchasing and maintaining laboratory equipment, evaluation, and general effectiveness of the CLT and HST Programs, which include: Clinical Laboratory Technician (AAS), Histotechnician (AAS), Histotechnician (VS), Clinical Laboratory Assistant (BVS Certificate), and Phlebotomy (BVS Certificate). Work involves maintaining accreditation of the program through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) and maintaining compliance with regulatory agencies (ie. OSHA, HIPAA, IDFPR). Work is distinguished by the preparation of skilled healthcare professionals for the community, teaching courses offered in the department, and supervising adjunct instructors and a clinical coordinator. Direction is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or related field. National certification as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS-NCA or MT-ASCP) Three years of experience in clinical laboratory science education that includes: teaching courses, conducting and managing learning experiences, evaluating student achievement, providing input into curriculum development, policy and procedure formulation, and evaluation of program effectiveness measures or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of education methods, administration, and current accreditation and certification procedures.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Program administration
- Maintain CLT and HST program accreditation through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), responsible for ICCB Program Reviews
- Develop and maintain affiliations with clinical agencies
- Hire, supervise, mentor, and evaluate part-time faculty
- Prepare budget, purchase equipment and supplies, maintain student lab and instrumentation
- Enhance curriculum and instruction
- Participate in academic and professional development, departmental and college committees
- Promote public relations for ECC and the Clinical Laboratory Technology and Histotechnology programs through community involvement
- Available to respond to internal and external customers, either in person or over the phone, during scheduled business hours.
- Demonstrate independent judgement and discretion in making position related decisions.
- Maintain required training, licensure and/or certification
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintain an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
1. Other duties as assigned that pertain to the job description.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 09/18/2020 Elgin Community College Support Staff Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 09/25/2020 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: November 16, 2020 Central Standard Time