Virtual Reality Immersive Technology Research Technician
Posting DetailsClassification TitlePosition CategoryWorking TitleVirtual Reality Immersive Technology Research TechnicianJob Summary
This grant funded position is responsible for maintaining an organized and functional Virtual Reality Facility inclusive of HALO-VR room, coordination of faculty mentors and student trainees involved in undergraduate research training. The candidate will benefit from working with a very dynamic and multidisciplinary group working at the interface of STEM. This individual will be appointed with 100% effort. The responsibilities include a structured training/professional development plan for each trainee, maintaining functional and organized Virtual Reality Facility, assisting faculty and students with the development of VR course and research projects. Plans, and development and maintenance (including data collection) of the project database (tracking of academic/research performance data) including outcomes for curriculum reform tests and NSF-iApply program scholars. This person will also assist in student mentoring by providing additional training/instruction in VR techniques and the use of instrumentation. This person will work closely with the NSF-iApply program implementation team to collect and store all data generated that may be in the form of course reform documents, student grade reports, Banner records, student surveys and evaluation tools, faculty deliverables, faculty surveys and evaluation tools.Minimum Qualifications
This position requires a highly motivated individual to work with interdisciplinary groups of faculty at the interface of STEM. Strong skills and a record of accomplishment in STEM areas are required. Background and/or credit check may be required. The following experience is also required: Simulation or gaming content development (Unity3D highly preferred); 3D content development (3DS Max/Maya modeling, Photogrammetry, CAD, etc.), or geographic information systems (GIS) tool suites; familiarity with current available virtual/ augmented/extended reality (VR/AR/XR) technologies; and familiarity with Agile Framework.Preferred Qualifications
The candidate is preferred to have experience in 3D Modeler / Texture Artist to join our team working on innovative STEM Learning Simulations, Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR and AR), and Training programs and products. The candidate should have the ability to be a team player and interact with several groups. A preference will be given to applicants that have a solid understanding of Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Substance. Experience developing for game engines is a plus, as well as, advanced computer software skill using Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Strong skills and a record of accomplishment in these areas are required; good writing and communication skills are important; and the ability to be a team player and interact with faculty investigators, students and program staff. Prior experience (3-5 years) in the following is preferred:
• In developing VR applications for Oculus / HTC. Virtual reality experience (Rift, Vive, GearVR, etc.)
• Unity 2018 or higher experience/training • Application of software development; 3D content generation; and integration skills sets to develop and configure assets, features, and utilities for a Unity 3D-based synthetic environment framework. • Experience creating and modifying 3D assets making them VR ready
• Experience creating 360 VR Walkthroughs and custom VR applications
• The ideal candidate will have a background in AR/VR/3D content development, and data visualization technologies.
• A positive, can do attitude to get things done in an aggressive development environment, with a natural curiosity in graphics technology in VR/AR/Immersive environments
• Experience with development tools and environments such as Integrate Development Environments (IDEs) i.e. Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator, Blender, etc.
Savannah State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, genetics, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status. Georgia is an Open Records State.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been uploaded to the appropriate section.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Savannah State University Website
- Savannah State University Employee
- Cover Letter
- Other Document