Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreThe Professional Research Experience Program (PREP) is a special partnership between the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the University of Colorado Boulder. PREP provides research opportunities to CU undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers with a Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. in NIST labs to gain research experience alongside NIST scientists.
The particular group that needs a researcher is the Quantum Sensors Group under the Quantum Electromagnetics Division at NIST.What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Perform research on advanced cryogenics to improve performance characteristics such as size, efficiency, operating temperature, and cooling power. Examples of advanced cryogenics include mechanical cryocoolers and refrigeration systems based on liquid helium.
- Build cryogenic systems and subsystems and characterizes their performance in terms of physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, mass transport, and energy flow.
- Use thermodynamic principles to understand the operation of cryogenic systems. Use analytical calculations and numerical simulations to describe and predict the behavior of cryogenic systems.
- Perform research on material properties relevant to the performance of cryogenic systems.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be StatementsBe Impactful. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.What We Require
- A Master's or Ph.D. degree in Physics, Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Previous experience with cryogenic science; experience with cryogenic systems working at 50K or below is preferred.
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name: Lisa ValenciaPosting Contact Email: [email protected]