Payroll Assistant CE&T
Department:: Continuing Ed, Training and Workforce Development
Locations:: Skokie, IL
Posted:: Sep 17, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Process the day-to-day payroll and HR activities of the Adult Education department; including, but not limited to, processing payroll, onboarding of new instructors, and certifications & terminations for the State University Retirement System. Assist the Accounting & Payroll Coordinator, CE&T and serve as back up payroll resource for other Alliance departments as needed.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process bi-weekly payroll; including review of bi-weekly payroll process queries, assigning of position codes, labor redistributions, spreadsheets, and forms.
- Prepare, issue, track, and collect instructor contracts.
- Ensure compliance with contracts and standards using relevant information. Maintain confidentiality.
- Verify salary authorization information, compute salaries and calculate supplemental pay.
- Onboard instructors including providing guidance for new hire paperwork, contract overview, and Oakton systems.
- Enter data in the Human Resources Information System related to instructors' records. Collect and process new instructor paperwork. Process instructor changes such as salary, contact information updates, W-4 deductions, etc.
- Process SURS certifications, terminations, and retirements for SURS online. Determine whether instructors meet SURS criteria.
- Provide training to Adult Education instructors regarding payroll operation guidelines and appropriate dissemination and processing of information. Responds to inquiries by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in-person.
- Assist with fiscal year rollover process.
- Assist in managing and maintaining documentation and storage of Instructor files and payroll records, including but not limited to Document Imaging and Iron Mountain.
- Serve as backup payroll contact in the absence of Accounting & Payroll Coordinator.
- Perform other special projects and job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Associates degree required in Human Resources, Business, Accounting or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required.
- Two years of payroll processing experience is required. Experience with Banner is strongly preferred.
- One year of experience working with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) is desired.
- A high level of analytical, problem solving, interpersonal and communication skills are required. Must be able to regularly explain policies, train others, write and edit reports and coordinate the work of others. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Intermediate word processing and advanced spreadsheet application skills are required. Intermediate competencies in the use of personal computer software including database, macros, and formula authoring skills are preferable.
- Incumbent may be asked to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must have the ability to travel to and between campuses.
- Work is done in a general office work environment with little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Accounting & Payroll Coordinator, CE&T.
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Operations & Administration.
Functional supervision may be exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday through Thursday 9:00 am - 3:15 pm
**This is a temporary grant position and continued employment, is based on the successful renewal of the grant.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.