Program Manager, Distance Learning
To advance the college’s mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Distance Learning Program Manager serves as the primary resource and driver for developing excellence in educational delivery across course formats by providing strategic goals for online programming while supporting Continuing Education facilitators and program developers in the design, development, implementation and assessment of course content in online, hybrid, and technology-enhanced traditional courses. This position will manage, promote, and implement successful online learning strategies throughout Kirkwood’s Continuing Education division. Will provide leadership for short and long-range planning for the CE division’s distance learning vision and deployment of programs.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Direct the planning and operations of the Distance Learning Programs in Continuing Education division.
- Provides consultation for the design, development, implementation and evaluation of distance education projects, programs and initiatives.
- Identifies emerging trends and conduct needs analyses that offer opportunities for new programming.
- Provide guidelines for instructional technologies and educational best practices, instructional resources, instructional technologies and multimedia hardware/software to support teaching and learning.
- Analyze data and to create informed decisions and prepare reports summarizing distance learning statistical data or describing distance learning program objectives and accomplishments.
- Strategy – To develop and maintain a competitive advantage the focus will be on value and quality of offerings. One key is to expand into new markets. Be a provider of choice that is hard for competitors to replicate (via price, quality, unique curriculum etc).
- The Distance Learning Program Manager will be a leader for assisting facilitators in use & application of technologies but also in key sound learning principles to create valid competencies and curriculum to support well written objectives and competencies.
- Foster collaboration among programmers and facilitators and Distance Learning Program Manager.
- Develop and maintain rigorous quality assurance programs.
- Utilize benchmarking and best practices and market drivers in the distance education industry for creation of quality curriculum and excellence of delivery of instruction.
- Develop a facilitator newsletter which provides tips and guidelines as well as up-to-date knowledge and information on distance learning.
- Focus strategic planning on outcomes by focusing on results for students.
- Be able and willing to represent the college in a positive manner with prospective, former, and current students, clients, and the community served.
- Be a creative, energetic, self-motivated individual with strong marketing abilities and experience, professional appearance, positive attitude, and demonstrated leadership and organizational skill.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, logically, and coherently orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, clients and general public.
- Must have high ability to multi-task, assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred).
- Three years of related experience in administration or higher education.
- Two years of related experience in creation and/or management of alternative delivery methods of instruction.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Teaching experience in alternative delivery methods.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: [email protected] or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: [email protected]