Finance Generalist, Equity Center
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-15
The Democracy Initiative Center and the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences seeks a Finance Generalist for the newly created Equity Center, reporting to the Executive Director.
The Democracy Initiative Center for the Redress of Inequity Through Community-Engaged Scholarship (the “Equity Center”) is the University of Virginia’s newest collaborative multi-disciplinary center, established in August 2019. The Equity Center tangibly redresses racial and socioeconomic inequality in university communities by advancing a transformative approach to universities’ fundamental research mission, which will in turn reform institutional values, pedagogy and operations. Specifically, the Equity Center will change the way that University of Virginia (UVA) scholars interact with members of the surrounding community, replacing a model that has been extractive with one that is respectful and collaborative and conducts research that benefits communities. This approach will be a model for institutions of higher education domestically and globally to leverage their anchor positions in local communities to eradicate racial and socioeconomic inequity.
The Finance Generalists perform a wide range of duties across multiple areas, including accounting, budget, payroll, financial analysis, purchasing, or treasury.
- Develop and implement accurate, timely, and complete budget and accounting documents, spreadsheets, and templates.
- Develop and provide financial forecasts. Reconcile forecasts to actual results. Complete all related University requirements and submittals, adhering to department and institutional standards and timelines.
- Oversee the preparation of purchase orders and payment vouchers. Ensure that bills are paid promptly so the department complies with the University's requirements. Responsible for resolving any discrepancies with vendors as needed.
- Track fund accounts, special projects, or tasks to ensure appropriate entries are made and monitor the account balances.
- Maintain financial records for department funds, following University and departmental policies and procedures, and maintain all documentation and records to meet audit requirements.
- Participate in training sessions to keep apprised of changes in policy and procedures.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Education: Bachelor's degree with at least two years of relevant experience. Significant relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must have a commitment to serve communities by reducing racial and socioeconomic inequity.
- Ability to develop, articulate and implement organizational vision.
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, processing payroll transactions and budget management skills.
- Must be a strategic thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects in a complex environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management, and transparent, high integrity leadership skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on competing and complex information from multiple sources.
- Ability to work with tact on complex, sensitive and confidential issues.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Education: Master's or terminal degree
- Preference will be given to candidates with finance, budget and accounting, grants and contract and UVA financial systems experience.
This is an exempt level, benefited position, and is restricted as it is dependent upon performance and funding.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $55,000 - $60,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, October 2, 2020, though the position is open until filled.
***Please note that all required documents MUST be uploaded in the resume box.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs: search for posting #R0018453 (or through Workday for internal applicants), complete the application, and attach the following:
1. Cover letter - addressing why you are interested in this position, how your experience has prepared you and demonstrated experience working with underrepresented groups.
3. Information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
For questions about the position, please contact Ben Allen, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the application process, please contact Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor, at email@example.com.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
Learn More About the Equity Center here: http://virginiaequitycenter.org/.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.