Corporate Financial Accountant
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-20
The incumbent provides critical financial reporting and designs analysis to support management decision-making. The incumbent contributes to the administration and coordination of the annual independent audit, the annual budget process and the preparation of federal and state information and tax returns for UPG and its subsidiaries, as assigned. As a member of UPG Finance, the incumbent supports the maintenance of the Group's general ledger, financial reporting and certain supporting systems.
- Provides high-level analytical support, including the design, creation and generation of complex reports and charts.
- Prepares financial reports, schedules, analyses, and graphs for Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Finance Committee and Clinical Chairs.
- Prepares consolidated financial statements (combining administrative, subsidiary and clinical information) for senior leadership.
- Utilizes general ledger and financial report-writing software applications to develop and maintain customized financial management reports.
- Compiles relevant data from various sources to aid in and enhance analysis of financial data.
- Oversees the preparation and analysis of monthly and annual reports from the general ledger.
- Monitors corporate, subsidiary and ancillary business unit financial operations.
- Facilitates the timely completion of UPG Finance’s role and responsibilities related to the annual audit and communicates directly with independent and internal auditors.
- Utilizes budget preparation software to ensure the timely completion of UPG Finance’s role and responsibilities related to the annual budget process.
- Assists in the ongoing development and continuous improvement of UPG’s budget preparation software.
- Prepares annual federal and state tax returns for UPG and its subsidiaries with independent tax preparers.
- Prepares surveys periodically to comply with governmental and other survey requests.
- Researches accounting and tax issues and consults with appropriate parties (such as government agencies or consultants) as needed.
- Prepares journal entries, financial statements and analyses for the Group, its subsidiaries and ancillary business units.
- Assumes primary responsibility for various complex account reconciliations.
- Develops, analyzes, revises and maintains a system for allocating UPG administrative overhead costs to various business units and clinical departments.
- Maintains thorough working knowledge of all general ledger functions.
- Provides accounting software guidance to team members as it pertains both to use of the general ledger and reporting modules.
- Prepares and documents applicable policies and procedures for corporate finance activities as appropriate.
- Communicates with managers and directors regarding financial and audit issues and risks.
- Communicates with corporate management regarding financial reporting issues.
- Works on joint teams within UPG Finance and with other internal and external business partners to resolve financial, budget, tax and audit issues.
- Maintains appropriate skills in accounting and financial software applications by attending training sessions, using, and exploring the tools available.
- Maintains an in‑depth understanding of the UPG finance and accounting operations.
- Completes other tasks and assignments as requested by Manager, Financial Reporting and Director of Finance.
- Serves as back-up support to other team members as requested.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field.
One to three years of financial reporting and analysis or three years in equivalent position and relevant experience.
Knowledge of financial analysis methodologies and financial report writing software.
Knowledge and skills:
Intermediate knowledge of general ledger, budgeting and financial reporting systems.
10-key and typing proficiency.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.