Veterans and Military-Affiliated Coordinator - Student Financial Services - Division of Finance
Job location: Franklin Building
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-18
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleVeterans and Military-Affiliated Coordinator - Student Financial Services - Division of FinanceJob Profile TitleCoordinator BJob Description SummaryThe Veterans and Military Affiliated (VAMA) Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director for the One-Stop Center and works under general supervision to ensure the provision of high-quality services to the University’s growing number of students and families receiving veteran and military-affiliated benefits.
Drawing on an in-depth knowledge of Federal, State, and University policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines; and the systems and software used to track and retain information (SRS, SAM, Banner AR, Imaging, Box, VA Once) at Penn and at various government agencies, he/she serves as the University’s primary School Certifying Officer. Ensuring compliance with Veterans Administration (VA), Department of Defense (DoD), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Approving Agency (CPSAA), and the Department of Education (DoE) regulations and requirements in all aspects of service delivery, the Coordinator counsels students and families on the benefits process, audits student accounts and submits required documentation, creates and implements programing and trainings for staff and students; establishes and maintains collaborative internal, cross-University, and external partnerships; and fosters the creation of a supportive and welcoming campus environment for VAMA students.
With an understanding of the unique needs of this specific population, the Coordinator evaluates and addresses a variety of both common and higher-level issues and questions, and applies critical analysis and professional judgment in investigating and resolving these. He/she will review customer experience data and make recommendations to the Assistant Director on ways to improve operational efficiency and increase customer satisfaction. The Coordinator is expected to engage in ongoing professional development; play an active role in internal and University-wide committee work, programming and projects; and serve as a mentor to work-study staff.
Occasional evening and/or weekend work required.Job Description
- Serve as the University’s primary School Certifying Official (SCO) for processing certifications to government agencies for our growing population of students: Create, maintain, and ensure accuracy of student records in the VAOnce system. Gather and evaluate required documentation to confirm benefits eligibility; apply relevant scholarships, grants, credits, and military benefits; and submit materials to VA for certification. Work collaboratively across SRFS functional offices to ensure all student enrollment and graduation certifications are submitted to the VA or appropriate military branch office at the earliest reasonable date each term
- Ensure the on-time completion and submission of all mandatory institutional documents, updates, and reporting related to VA and active duty education benefits. This includes, but is not limited to, the annual preparation and submission of information regarding all curriculum updates and changes; annual preparation and submission of Penn’s Yellow Ribbon agreement, including engaging each School’s financial aid and budget staff for School-level review and commitment; calculating and submitting the 85/15 reporting every semester; and preparing for and facilitating on-site VA compliance surveys or audits, typically occurring once every 2-4 years. Ensure compliance with Veterans Administration (VA), Department of Defense (DoD), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Approving Agency (CPSAA), and the Department of Education (DoE) guidelines and regulations, with a particular focus on reporting to the Pennsylvania State Approving Agency or the federal Veterans Administration.
- Provide high-quality guidance to students and parents navigating the veteran benefits process: Clearly and effectively explain the different facets of the VAMA process and the Congressional acts and federal and state policies that impact it. Using critical thinking and analytical skills, and adhering to all regulatory and compliance guidelines, independently interpret and apply relevant policies and procedures to enable families to utilize the benefits. Gather and review necessary information and documentation from families; provide guidance on follow-up steps; identify veterans’ resources outside of SRFS as needed.
- Develop and implement University-wide Military Affiliated Student programming to support the educational goals of VAMA students, foster a welcoming and supportive campus environment for veterans, and expand University understanding of the needs of this population and the availability of benefits:
- Prepare and deliver presentations/information during New Student Orientation, and for events/student groups as requested throughout the academic year. Lead the SRFS VA .& Military Education Benefits Work Group, and the Veterans Advisory Committee; ;utilize the input of these groups and SRFS Service Center staff to determine the needs of this population and identify ways to best meet them. Under general guidance and final approval by supervisor/SRFS leadership, create and implement workshops, presentations, resource groups, communications, etc. across a variety of platforms to promote student awareness and usage of the space and services specifically dedicated to them.
- Design, develop, and maintain the curriculum and materials for a multi-level training course for SRFS Financial Aid, University Registrar, and Accounts Receivable staff who are involved in handling or processing VA & MA benefits and/or providing customer service to students and families seeking to use those benefits. Ensure staff have a strong understanding of compliance, workflow, and benefits processing; and the knowledge and ability to provide strong customer service and resolve Tier 1 and Tier 2 inquiries and issues. Deliver training to cross-University partners as needed, tailoring content to the specific needs of the audience.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships, both internally and with government agencies and employees, to ensure a campus-wide understanding of the Military and Veterans population, and to provide students with a network of support providers to whom they can address questions and issues: Provide SRFS colleagues and partners across Penn’s 12 Schools with clear and consistent interpretations of policies and regulations that cover the application of VAMA benefits. Ensure they have the most up-to-date information on the requirements of VAMA benefits and can refer students to the appropriate Service Center or external resource. Coordinate with DOF Communications to develop communications for specific populations seeking information about VAMA benefits. These include, but are not limited to, calendars/schedules of important deadlines, notifications of changes to regulatory or reporting requirements, and announcements of opportunities to bring our military affiliated community and its support network together.
- Provide information to SRFS leadership on the VAMA population’s benefit usage: Query and analyze Banner and Business Objects data on enrollment and application of payments. Audit each account every semester to ensure benefits have been applied correctly and in compliance with all relevant regulations and policies. Gather feedback/data from students, families, and staff served by the office.. To support the One-Stop Assistant Director’s ongoing process improvements, make data-driven recommendations to leadership as needed on ways to improve the customer experience and increase operational efficiency.
- Engage in continuous professional development. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Veterans Administration, Department of Defense, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Approving Agency, and Department of Education regulations; and ensure compliance with all when applying benefits. Maintain a thorough and up-to-date understanding of, and ensure compliance with, Federal, State, and University policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines as they relate to students’ academic, financial aid, and billing records; and the systems and software used to track and retain information (SRS, SAM, Banner AR, Imaging, Box, VA Once) at Penn and at various government agencies.
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree and 3 to 5 years of experience in a veteran support or management role at an educational institution, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required; five or more years of experience preferred; service in a branch of the military preferred. Understanding of VA benefits and services and how they are administered and managed to ensure institutional compliance; working knowledge of the requirements set forth in the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017 (a.ka. the Forever G.I.Bill). Experience in navigating and communicating with veterans administration offices, state or federal. Excellent customer service/CRM skills required; experience in a service center environment preferred. Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written skills; the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of students, staff, faculty, and administration; and the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and in easy-to-understand language to a variety of audiences. Advanced analysis and problem-solving skills; excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a high volume/high interaction environment; ability to work independently and collaboratively in a deadline driven environment. Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Please include a cover letter and updated resume in your Workday submission and application.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.