Graduate Assistant- Bryan School Freshmen Success Coach
Graduate Assistant- Bryan School Freshmen Success CoachPosition Eclass:
GF - Graduate Flat PayPosition Summary:
The term Graduate Assistant is the umbrella term that encompasses all types of GA appointments. Graduate Assistants are employed by the University to teach, conduct research, or assist with administrative duties in departments and non-academic units. Every attempt is made to assign Graduate Assistants to positions that are directly related to the student’s field of study or that provide the opportunity to develop transferable, professional skills. Graduate Assistantships are assigned in the department or unit and confirmed by the Graduate School.Additional Details:
The Bryan School Freshman Success Coach Program is designed to promote higher retention, academic achievement for pre-business majors not taking BUS 115 during fall 2020. The program is seeking a graduate assistant to support first-year students who have been identified as likely to benefit from additional help and resources.
The Bryan School Freshman Success Coach will act a support person to help students navigate the first semester related to topics, but not limited to, campus resources, academic advising, and professional development. The Success Coach will also connect students to other University supports and services necessary for success, as well as, help students recognize challenges and resolve them independently. Training will be provided to ensure the success coach is adequately equipped to assist students.
The Success Coach will receive training provided by the Bryan School Undergraduate Services team, The Bryan School Undergraduate Professional Development team and that Academic Success Coaching Team.
Appointment would be for 18 hours per week during the fall 2020 semester.
- Serve a caseload of 45 first-year Pre-Business School majors not in BUS 115 for Fall 2020
- Address a variety of issues related to student’s academic skill development
- Help students recognize challenges and resolve them independently
- Connect students to weekly extracurricular personal and professional development opportunities hosted by the Bryan School and campus partners
- Connect students to other University supports and services necessary for success
- Be accountable for the accuracy, timeliness and management of records
- Be responsible for tracking student’s progress and accomplishments through Starfish
- Attend weekly professional trainings and team meetings
- Create a safe and supportive relationship that fosters student growth
- Communicate effectively and practice essential coaching skills
- Accurately evaluate student concerns and motivate change
- Utilize tools such as: Canvas, Degree Works, Starfish, etc. (training will be provided)
- Establish and maintain professional and ethical boundaries
- Perform other duties as required
To be eligible for appointments as a graduate assistant, you must:
- Maintain academic good standing at all times (3.0).
- Be enrolled full-time, which is generally a minimum of 9 credits.
- Make satisfactory progress toward your degree as defined by your academic program and the Graduate School.
- Meet the requirements to be eligible for employment in the U.S.
For consideration, please upload the following:
- Cover Letter
- List of three professional or academic references. Information should include name, title, relationship, telephone number, and email address.
Business and Econ Student Svcs - 11807Posting Begin Date:
09/09/2020Open Until Filled: