BUILDING ATTENDANT I - NIGHT
To perform routine manual work involving the custodial maintenance of buildings.
Responsible for janitorial and housekeeping duties including occasional heavy physical labor.Description of Duties
• Clean, sweep, mop, dust and scrub tile work, floors, stairways, hallways, rest rooms, offices, laboratories, locker rooms and building lobbies.
• Wax and polish floors.
• Clean and polish furniture and equipment.
• Clean and maintain rest rooms.
• Wash windows and move furniture and equipment.
• Polish nickel and brass work.
• Empty waste baskets and trash boxes.
• Wash and polish drinking fountains.
• May prepare auditoriums and other areas for meetings, seminars and other student, faculty and staff functions.
• Pick up material to be recycled.
• May be required to have flexible work schedule, to include but not limited to: work evenings, weekends, Holidays and overtime.
• May be required to carry a two-way radio and/or pager and be available on and “On call” basis.
• Assist in inventory control.
• Perform other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
General supervision with detailed instructions on special assignments.Supervision Given
Completion of the 6th grade. Ability to read and write English well enough to comprehend Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) on cleansers, chemicals, and other containers, and to understand work orders, complete time cards, and receive oral and written work directions.Preferred Education
High School Diploma or GED.Licenses/Certifications
Basic knowledge of janitorial tasks.Preferred Experience
Knowledge of janitorial equipment and its care and maintenance requirements.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Work schedule: expected to work primarily night and weekends or rotating schedule including weekends. Usual office building conditions. Some exposure to inclement weather when moving between buildings and emptying trash. May be exposed to other hazardous wastes, chemicals, and/or conditions in research and teaching labs.Other
Must be physically able to perform all essential functions and duties of the job. Requires considerable stooping, bending, kneeling, walking, lifting, and carrying of heavy objects to perform job duties. Requires moving, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling of heavy furniture, equipment, trash cans, boxes, files, filing cabinets, and other objects weighing up to 50 lbs. when working alone and 100 lbs. with help. Must be able to climb step ladders and maintain balance to clean and wash windows and lighting. This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment CategoryFull-TimeMinimum SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosted SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Available Date09/01/2020Grant Funded PositionNoIf Yes, Provide Grant Expiration DateEEO Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25252Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Training Certificates
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Additional Document