Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-30
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
A.D. Henderson School at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking a Maintenance Assistant to work at A.D. Henderson School, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Perform routine building maintenance duties, including but not limited to painting, minor electrical repairs, plumbing, carpentry, and air/heating and ventilation systems maintenance.
- Perform a variety of tasks that require the ability to repair, fabricate, install, service, and maintain the interior and exterior building facilities including building equipment.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance of roofs, motors, exit/emergency lights, generators, batteries, smoke detectors, district vehicles, etc.
- Perform a variety of carpentry duties, including but not limited to, fabrication and repairs/replacement of doors, walls, signs, desks, chairs, counters, shelves and tables etc.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools with accuracy.
- General handyman knowledge and experience to provide recommendations for facility projects.
- Perform interior and exterior painting in the preparation and finishing of various surfaces.
- Perform repairs of various floor coverings.
- Perform a variety of plumbing repairs/maintenance, including but not limited to, restroom commode and sink fixtures, drinking fountains, touchless bottle fillers, snaking drain lines, etc.
- Move furniture, equipment and materials.
- Clean interior of the building, as well as machinery and equipment, and exterior of the building.
- Support custodial staff in completion of custodial duties.
Ability to stand or walk for extended periods of time; ability to bend, kneel, stoop, and lift and move heavy equipment required.
Ability to read and interpret safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and other manuals and documents required.
Ability to work as part of a team and follow instructions from supervisors required.
Ability to work outside of normal work hours required.
Ability to comply with all safety and health regulations required.
Knowledge of HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and mechanical systems (including relevant equipment and tools) as well as overall handyman skills preferred.Salary:$13.00 - $16.00 per hourCollege or Department:A.D. Henderson SchoolLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. May be required to work outside of normal work hours.Application Deadline: 2020-10-07-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Preference in appointment will be given to eligible veterans, spouses of eligible veterans, and certain family members of eligible veterans, in accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 295.07. Please submit your DD214 (Member 4 preferred) showing your dates and character of service with your application as an attachment or fax to 561-297-3915 or scan and email to [email protected], prior to the closing date of the position. If faxing your DD214, please also send an email to [email protected] to notify us that the form was faxed, make sure the email includes your name and the REQ# of the job that was applied to.
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach all required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.
This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.