Research & Development Engineer (7120U) - 10944
Research & Development Engineer (7120U) - 10944 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 30, 2020
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco located on the UC Berkeley campus. At the IGI, we envision a world in which genome engineering innovations benefit humanity and are accessible to all. A key focus is accelerating translation of CRISPR-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health and agriculture.
The IGI is looking for passionate people who share our vision and values. We are committed to hiring and developing employees who want to work in a high performing culture. The IGI is especially interested in candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We encourage individuals to apply who may have had non-traditional career paths, taken time off for family/personal reasons, or excelled in careers outside academia.
- Conduct research to determine the parameters of a robotic application Monitor the use of robotic systems and optimize their functionality Collaborate with IGI research personnel evaluate manual molecular biological processes to develop automated processes and solutions Perform complex assignments related to operating, programming and troubleshooting of automated systems and instruments Develop cost-effective and efficient processes to maintain and produce the machines Troubleshoot defects in the robot design Keep abreast of advancements in robotics and relevant fields of engineering
- Apply technical concepts which will require both standard and unique methods Develop and implement software that will control robots. Create complete documentation for robotic systems. Develop training and implementation plans to complete user training and testing Perform complex assignments related to operating, programming and troubleshooting of automated systems and instruments Apply technical concepts which will require both standard and unique methods
- Occasionally assist the laboratory manager in manual tasks
- Keep up to date with IGI/UCB training requirements
- Occasional prototype development with CAD software and 3D printing
- Professional technical experience in a research laboratory or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Training and understanding of high throughput laboratory automation
- Knowledge of programming languages relevant for data manipulation & instrument integration, such as C/C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic
- Demonstrated experience applying technical, scientific and engineering principles to evaluate manual laboratory work protocols/process and develop automated work processes
- Knowledge of process optimization methodologies
- Knowledge and expertise in laboratory technology including automated high-throughput and biotech instrumentation
- Experience with programming Hamilton liquid handlers
- Ability to work independently and make decisions during shift work without additional support
- Good organizational and record keeping skills
- Willingness to learn new skills on new instruments as appropriate
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in parallel while working effectively
- Able to be flexible within a team to achieve objectives
- General personal computer application skills with spreadsheets, databases and word processors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working in a team environment
- Experience gathering feedback and requirements and analyzing data to make recommendations
- Ability to calibrate and operate a variety of electronic components, devices, instruments, equipment or systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related discipline and / or equivalent work experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10944&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency