Agriculture Extension Director Assistant
Posting DetailsJob TitleAgriculture Extension Director AssistantRequisition NumberRE24489Working TitleANR Extension Program LeaderDepartment Name81380:AGRICULTURAL PROGRAMSWork LocationLexington. KyGrade Level00Salary RangeType of PositionStaffPosition Time Status Full-TimeRequired Education
No set minimum requirements.Click here for more information about equivalencies:http://www.uky.edu/hr/employment/working-uk/equivalenciesRequired Related Experience
No set minimum requirements.Required License/Registration/Certification
Lifting objects up to 50 pounds, extended periods of walking outdoors, extended periods of computer work, and sitting.Shift
Monday – Friday; 8:00-5:00; and with nights and weekends as needed.Job Summary
The University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service is seeking its next Assistant Director for Agriculture and Natural Resources. This colleague provides statewide leadership for Extension programs in agricultural and natural resources. We expect our colleague to bring thoughtful and innovative contributions by being a part of the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service leadership team while being responsible to the Director and Associate Director of the Cooperative Extension Service. This is a 12-month position based in Lexington, Kentucky with travel within and out of state as needed has an expected distribution of effort (DOE) at approximately 75% Administration and 25% Extension. The annual DOE will be aligned with the colleague’s strengths and college needs.
• Collaborate with the director and other leadership team members to develop, conduct, and evaluate a transformative Extension Program that is nationally recognized.
• Mobilize department chairs, Extension coordinators/faculty, specialists, area & district directors, regional program coordinators, and county agents in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating unified efforts.
• Spearhead and support interdisciplinary teams to address existing and identify emerging issues spanning the rural to urban landscape continuum.
• Facilitate educational curricula design and effective professional development programs for employees and volunteer leaders.
• Expand on collaborative efforts with other University of Kentucky colleges and departments, Kentucky State University and other universities, state and federal agencies, and organizations engaged in related activities.
• Foster scholarly and creative development activity in support of relevant programs, faculty, and staff across the state.
• Contribute to the hiring, development, and evaluation of county agents, extension associates, and other selected personnel.
• Serve as a spokesperson through oral and written communication modes when addressing issues facing the commonwealth.
• Demonstrate program participation commitment that is representative of Kentucky’s diverse population and provide leadership for programs that meet the needs of clientele regardless of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environment (CAFE) is fulfilling the land-grant promise of educational excellence, civic leadership, transformational research, and shared knowledge serving the common good. We serve the people of the Commonwealth and across the world through education, outreach, service, and research by finding solutions to improve lives today and create a sustainable future. We integrate teaching, research, and extension in our work. We recruit, retain, and graduate students who are competent, responsible, and workforce ready. For more than 130 years, CAFE has provided research results to the community. From traditional labs and research farms to high-tech diagnostic and research centers, we offer science-based, practical solutions that affect the everyday lives of Kentuckians and people around the world. Our Cooperative Extension programs are engaged in Kentucky’s 120 counties, identifying and addressing needs not only in agriculture and natural resources, but also 4-H and youth development, family and consumer sciences, as well as community & economic development. We create a welcoming and inclusive environment that allows our faculty, staff, and students to reach their highest potential. We recognize people with diverse backgrounds and experiences are essential to decision making, problem solving, and innovation each and every day.
The University of Kentucky is a university with approximately 23,000 undergraduate and 7,000 graduate students. UK is Kentucky’s flagship university and a land grant institution. We have a university commitment to improve the lives of Kentuckians and beyond and that is why environmental stewardship and sustainability are core parts of our institution’s legacy. We are recognized as a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation, a Gold level Bicycle Friendly University by The League of American Bicyclists, and are recognized as a STARS (Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System) Silver Rating by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. The university is geographically near downtown Lexington, which offers the vibrancy of an urban location while being in close proximity to working landscapes and recognized wilderness areas. It is a thriving community of 300,000+ with a strong commitment to quality of life, education, and the arts. Lexington is in the Bluegrass Region, an internationally acclaimed cultural landscape and agricultural region.
For more information about Lexington and the University’s vital role within the community, please Click Here
Coop Ext Video!
To find out more about UK Cooperative Extension, please Click Here
The following applicant documents are required:
•Cover Letter (Submit under Applicant Document Cover Letter).
•Resume and/or Curriculum Vita (Submit under Resume).
•Transcript (Submit under Academic Transcript).
•A Letter of Interest, that outlines your approach to the position’s qualifications, responsibilities, and vision for innovative and impactful Extension programs that address existing and emerging issues for a diverse and inclusive community. (Submit under Specific Request 1).
Please note: The system cannot process documents with signature boxes, watermarks, password fields, or other security features. Remove these features by printing and re-scanning the document.Skills / Knowledge / AbilitiesDoes this position have supervisory responsibilities? YesPreferred Education/Experience
An earned terminal degree such as a Doctor of Philosophy appropriate for faculty appointment in a CAFE academic unit at the associate or professor rank in a tenure eligible title series at the University of Kentucky.
A national to international achievement record of excellence in peer-reviewed scholarship and extramural funding.
Accomplishment in an administrative role(s) at a research-intensive university.
Strategic leader with the capacity and vision to build on the momentum that the college has achieved.
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcript
- Specific Request 1