Lab Research Specialist - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment
Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment
Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Laboratory Research Specialist
One of the major challenges the world faces is how to provide sustainable sources of energy that meet societal needs as the population continues to grow. The Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation (CABBI) will develop efficient ways to grow bioenergy crops, transform biomass into valuable chemicals, and market the resulting biofuels and other bioproducts. The CABBI is looking for a full-time Laboratory Research Specialist who will conduct laboratory work on the biomass composition of various bioenergy crops.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing plant tissue for NREL composition analysis of structural carbohydrates.
- Conduct compositional and other assays and HPLC analyses to determine cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, extractives and other compounds in biomass samples.
- Conduct NMR analyses to determine composition of CABBI crops.
- Keep detailed written reports of these experiments, and archive data obtained.
- Undertake data entry, processing, and statistical analysis of the gathered data, and provide written summaries of these analyses.
- Help in other CABBI related laboratory projects and assist with student employee oversight.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Education: Required: B.S. degree in engineering, biochemistry, physiology, biology or other related disciplines Preferred: M.S. degree in engineering, biochemistry, physiology, biology or other related disciplines
- Experience: Required: Laboratory research experience Preferred: 2 years biochemical research experience
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Required: Background in biochemistry. Ability to work independently but also as part of a team. Ability to work with bioprocessing equipment, laboratory assays and HPLC analyses. Well-developed active listening and written and verbal communication skills. Proficiency with computers, especially Excel MSOffice. Ability to maintain written records. Willingness to learn and in turn train others. Proactive in problem solving self-sufficient. Preferred: Ability to work with processing equipment and HPLC analyses. Knowledge of biomass compositional assays, Operating HPLC, NMR and other laboratory equipment. Knowledge in statistics and experimental designs, and supporting software.
- Environmental Demands: Work performed in laboratory and office settings. Work conducted in the laboratory must follow all safety and lab protocols.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Status: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Start Date: As soon as possible after the close date
Applications must be received by September 29, 2020. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For further information, please contact Erica Hanson, Human Resources, [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:6-Research Title:Lab Research Specialist - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment Open Date:09/14/2020 Close Date:09/29/2020 Organization Name:Inst for Sustain, Enrgy, and Env