Data Analyst - College of ACES - Division of Family and Consumer Sciences (136059)
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
Division of Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS)
University of Illinois Extension
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The FCS Data Analyst serves as a regular, full time, 12-month position that supports the SNAP-Education and Expanded Food & Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) by providing analysis and reporting of data collected within the programs as well as evaluation of publicly available data for program analysis and comparison. The position is part of the Evaluation Team within U of I Extension’s Division of Family & Consumer Sciences. The position is administratively responsible to the Associate Dean of Family and Consumer Sciences and programmatically led by the FCS Extension Specialist of Evaluation, while also working with FCS field staff, and others to understand existing and new reporting needs, and to report qualitative and quantitative data in meaningful and impactful ways.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work under the supervision of the FCS Extension Specialist of Evaluation to understand reporting needs, evaluate programs, and deliver reports utilizing the latest technologies to describe the impact of SNAP-Education, EFNEP, and FCS on individuals and communities. (10%)
- Collect, manage, archive, analyze, map, and visualize data, create custom reporting mechanisms, and share findings with various stakeholder groups. (10%)
- Provide analysis of publicly available data to inform programmatic decisions and comparison of program results. (10%)
- Build, customize and publish interactive reports, visualizations, geo-spatial mapping, dashboards, and other reporting solutions to support grant and program teams, marketing, deliver new insights, and enhance workflow. Create action filters, parameters, and calculated sets for dashboards and worksheets. Utilize blended data from multiple sources to discover new visualization opportunities. (10%)
- Create and maintain metadata and data dictionaries. (10%)
- Work with the FCS Extension Specialist of Evaluation to outline strategic evaluation and reporting plans, and to define requirements for data not currently available and investigate the availability of data for reporting. (5%)
- Conduct reviews of scientific literature to ensure best practices in evaluation and reporting. (5%)
- Participate in and contribute to research projects and publications. (5%)
- Oversee performance tuning and optimization to ensure interactive, accessible reporting for customer-facing employees. (5%)
- Work with commercial, custom, and proprietary interfaces to build data reports. (5%)
- Gather requirements, understand business and community impact, and define end deliverables. (5%)
- Monitor performance and usage metrics of reporting to ensure quick access, accuracy of information, and relevance of all reporting. (5%)
- Provide training to stakeholders on how to understand the data and transfer it to strategic information. (5%)
- Develop and improve SNAP-Education’s Eat. Move. Save. website analytics gathering, analysis, dashboards, and reporting to internal and external stakeholders. (5%)
- Comply with Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of University work and responsibilities. Assist unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports if needed Other duties to further the mission of University of Illinois Extension as assigned.
- Assume additional related responsibilities to enhance and further the mission of the unit. (5%)
- Any combination totaling two (2) years from the following categories:
- progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession
- college course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one (1) year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two (2) years
- Master’s degree in Information Management, Information Science, or related field.
- Experience creating analytics reports, incorporating web, social media analytics, and CRM derived performance data.
- Education and/or Experience closely working with diverse groups (ie. stakeholders, developers and student workers) in a team environment
- Education and/or Experience with Relational Database platforms such as SQL Server and writing complex calculations and parameters within Tableau.
- Minimum 2 years of related professional experience or higher education credits equivalent in data analytics.
- Experience determining Data Strategy to use, scheduling data refreshes, and creating efficiencies when dealing with large data sets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills; including the ability to communicate with technical and non-technical users alike.
- Working knowledge of data cleaning methods and tools.
- Working knowledge of data analysis, modeling, data mining and reporting tools.
- Working knowledge of data coding language.
- Working knowledge of geospatial mapping software.
- Strong understanding of advanced Tableau features.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts.
- Knowledge of University systems.
- Knowledge of University of Illinois Extension and its functions.
- Knowledge of federal nutrition education grants including SNAP-Education and EFNEP.
To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by October 6, 2020. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Caitlin Kownacki ([email protected]). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:ACES Category:8-Technical Title:Data Analyst - College of ACES - Division of Family and Consumer Sciences (136059) Open Date:09/15/2020 Close Date:10/06/2020 Organization Name:Family and Consumer Science