Part Time Custodian II - Continuous Posting
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 34431
Campus Facilities ManagementJob Description
UMKC Campus Facilities is hiring five custodian positions at both the Volker and Health Sciences campuses. Shifts and location vary per position.
Nature and Level of Work
Perform routine, manual work utilizing knowledge of various custodial materials, equipment, methods and procedures used in maintaining a clean, neat and orderly building. May clean, sweep and remove trash from multiple campus parking garage structures, provide special services to the Chancellor’s residence and emergency support to the Special Work Assignment Team (SWAT). Responsibilities may include maintenance of designated buildings and related fixtures and routine repair of fixed equipment and buildings. Work is subject to spot checking for neatness, cleanliness and workmanship with periodic review for overall effectiveness. Functional contacts include co-workers, service department employees and all personnel utilizing building facilities.
- Perform duties in the care and cleaning of buildings (e.g., garages, offices, classrooms, entry ways, and restrooms). Clean floors (e.g., sweep, mop, and wax), empty trash receptacles, dust furniture, clean windows and other cleaning related duties. May sweep and shovel snow. May order cleaning supplies and equipment repairs as needed. May be assigned to work in areas requiring special use of disinfectants, cleaning techniques and sanitation procedures or use of special equipment (e.g., large sweeper, power washers).
- May prepare rooms for meetings by setting up chairs, tables and necessary equipment.
- May occasionally fabricate simple fixtures or devices for use in the building or assist superiors in fabrication of more complicated apparatus.
- May provide support for emergency responses and/or large moves/events.
- May periodically, check building equipment (pumps, motors, fans, heaters, furnace, etc.): perform necessary maintenance, adjustments and routine repairs of equipment including replacement of broken, worn or defective parts; report need of major repairs to superior for correction. Check gauges of building equipment for proper temperature, pressure, water level, etc. Clean and provide routine maintenance on equipment such as vacuums, gas blower, large lot sweeper and pickup truck.
- May perform building security duties such as locking and unlocking doors, checking windows, turning lights on or off, etc., report items that need repair to superior. Report damages and repair needs to appropriate staff. Report and clean graffiti from surfaces when found.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A job offer for this position is contingent on passing a physical examination to determine if the candidate possesses the physical capabilities necessary to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and write.
- A valid driver’s license may be required for certain positions.
- One year of general maintenance and custodial experience.
- Some knowledge of methods for cleaning equipment and buildings; mechanical ability for minor repair of equipment.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Visualize work area and determine what tasks need to be performed
- Bend, squat, reach, stretch, walk, stand, sit, grasp and twist repeatedly
- Climb stairs, step stools, and ladders; climb and descend stairwells
- Lift, carry, and set down objects of moderate weight (25-50 lbs.)
- Work may include one or more of the following:
- Working in areas of extreme temperatures
- Wearing a backpack vacuum for long periods of time
- Wearing protective mask and hearing protection devices
- Working around dust and cleaning chemicals
- Good physical coordination and mechanical aptitude sufficient to perform assigned duties.
Full Time/Part Time
Part time positions.Salary
$12.00 to $15.05 per hour.Shift
Various Shifts Available:
4:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Monday through FridayApplication Deadline
Open until all positions filled.Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.Comments
Under direct supervision, receives oral and written instructions daily on work to be performed.
No supervision is exercised.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: