Position DetailsPosition TypeCivil ServiceClassification TitleMaintenance LaborerPosition's Functional TitleMaintenance LaborerPosition Start Date10/01/2020Position End Date (if temporary)Position Summary
Governors State University is seeking to hire a Maintenance Laborer to perform labor in the upkeep of buildings and grounds as it relates to maintenance or construction such as planting, spraying, weeding, and watering, pruning, mowing, moving furniture or similar tasks.
65% Execute grounds duties such as mowing, trimming, weeding, trash pick-up and snow removal operations.
10% Perform set-ups for University events and functions.
10% Move furniture such as desks, chairs, cabinets, and boxes.
5% Perform preventative maintenance and repairs of equipment.
5% Change light bulbs and fluorescent lights.
5% Perform other duties as necessary and as assigned.
Performs duties sitting, standing, bending, lifting, walking, carrying for extended periods of time. Reaches, grasp, and grip materials and items frequently. Occasionally climb and use ladders, lift, and scaffolding to perform duties. Frequently lift, carry, or exert force on items weighing 50 pounds or less; occasionally lift, carry or exert force on items weighing 50 pounds or more. Perform duties in all types of adverse weather conditions (extreme heat/cold/precipitation) with varying degrees of moderate noise levels. Exposure to hazards such as moving parts and vehicles, high work elevations, chemicals, oils, fumes and/or airborne particles. Requires normal correctable eyesight and hearing are required.
Starting Hourly Salary: $22.06.
(This is an unionized position. Salary starts at the base and an increase is given after successful completion of the probationary period per union contract.)
REQUIRED: COPY OF CURRENT ILLINOIS DRIVER’S LICENSE MUST BE ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION OF THIS POSITION,
1. Resident of the State of Illinois
2. Valid State of Illinois Driver’s License
3. Employee must be able to obtain Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide Operator’s License.Preferred Qualifications
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Experience in the maintenance and repair of grounds equipment.
3. Ability to perform basic math calculations.
4. Basic understanding of general landscape and building maintenance practices.
5. Ability to comprehend landscape design plans and operator or parts manuals.
6. Knowledge, skill, and ability to safely and effectively operate equipment, such as but not limited to: push mower, string trimmer, edger, sod cutter, riding mowers, dump trucks, snow plows, salt spreaders, wood chipper, chain saw, bobcat, and tractors.Posting Date09/14/2020Closing Date09/24/2020Open Until FilledNoPosting NumberCS0459PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/5471Employee IDDepartmentSpecial Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Current Illinois Driver’s License.
2: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
3: Cover Letter.
5: A list of three Professional References.
This vacancy involves a computerized exam. Please see the State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) website for additional details at www.sucss.illinois.gov .
Illinois residency is required.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS:
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214/DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
**Notes: Must be received by the closing date of this posting.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a resident of the State of Illinois?
- * Do you have a valid State of Illinois Driver’s License?
- * Are you a High school graduate or equivalent?
- * Are you able to perform general physical activities required by the job, which include, but are not limited to the following: lifting, reaching, climbing stairs and ladders, carrying heavy loads (50 pounds or more), normal hearing, sight (normal/correctable), and speaking abilities, hand-eye coordination, grasping, bending, writing, walking, and driving?
- * Are you able to perform duties in all types of adverse weather conditions (extreme heat/cold/precipitation) with varying degrees of moderate noise levels?
- Have you attached a copy of your current Illinois driver's license?
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Current Illinois Driver's License
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation
- Certification/Professional License