Student Services Officer
Student Services Officer
Job Number: 87322
Student Services Officer
The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the center of a world-class liberal arts education at Stanford University. H&S encompasses 23 departments—from Art and Art History, English, and History to Economics, Mathematics, and Biology—as well as 23 interdisciplinary programs. As the University's largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.
The Program in Human Biology is a large and diverse interdepartmental undergraduate major. The program's mission is to provide an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the human being from biological, behavioral, social, and cultural perspectives. Each Human Biology student designs an individualized course of study focused on an area of interest within the broad scope of the program. Students also have the opportunity to pursue research or other creative projects within the major as part of their capstone requirement.
More information can be found at: http://humanbiology.stanford.edu/
Human Biology seeks a Student Services Officer in providing administrative and operational support on issues regarding major advising and academic services. Provide advice to undergraduate students on a range of issues to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions as well as clear students for conferral. The Student Services Officer will work under the general supervision of the Program Manager as well as Associate Director and must possess and demonstrate a positive outlook on continuous process improvement efforts while maintaining a team-based and customer-focused mindset. It is critical that the position exhibit the abilities to practice sound judgement and decision-making, effective written & oral communication, strong attention to detail and respectful relationship management. This position must also exhibit a strong desire to continuously learn new and unfamiliar student services topics, policies and procedures as they relate to advising and academic services—the ability to translate this information into operational success will be critical.
This is a 100% FTE, continuous exempt position.
If you believe that this opportunity is a match for your knowledge, skills and abilities, we encourage you to apply. Thank you for considering employment opportunities with the School of Humanities and Sciences.
The core duties of this position are:
- Oversee, review and administer student records by analyzing data, counseling students and providing recommendations that require interpretation and influence decisions. Make exceptions on issues of eligibility, course enrollment and program requirements.
- Develop recommendations and collaborate with staff, faculty and other offices to resolve programmatic issues within the school and across functional units, (such as strategizing to ensure optimal enrollment).
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities. Participate in related student recruitment and selection.
- Provide first line response to identify students in crisis and refer to appropriate resources, as needed.
- Collect and analyze data from multiple sources including student feedback, surveys, trend reports, and data analytics. Prepare and summarize reports and make recommendations to enhance offerings, such as programs and courses and to influence current processes and policies.
- Develop, analyze, influence and review, policies, processes and programs by incorporating feedback and trend data learned from first-line interactions with students. Advise manager and team on policy updates and provide recommendation for implementation of changes.
- Identify trends, perform needs analysis, and participate in the implementation and testing of new technology.
- May develop marketing materials and strategies for program activities and outreach functions. Assist in planning and developing webinars, education fairs and other external functions.
- May provide oversight with the administration of financial processes such as financial reimbursements, data entry, reviewing terms and conditions regarding contracts, understanding vendor requirements, and following up and resolving issues.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic analysis and problem solving skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Ability to direct the work of others, for jobs requiring supervision
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Able to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels with diplomacy and tactfulness.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7501
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 87322
Location: School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency