Extension Agent, FCS and SNAP-Ed
Posting DetailsVacancy TypeNC Cooperative ExtensionIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoJob TypeFull-Time - PermanentTime-Limited Appointment LengthNoIf Yes, Appointment LengthTitleExtension Agent, FCSWorking TitleExtension Agent, FCS and SNAP-EdSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeMinimum Bachelor's $40,000; Minimum Master's $45,000; Minimum Doctorate $50,000Position NumberNC-00002383-0920Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00pm, evenings and weekends as necessary.Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department117538 - North Central District- ForsythDepartmentJob City & StateWinston-Salem, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications, and events, Cooperative Extension agents deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizens.
From its humble origins, Forsyth County has been known for its beautiful balance between rural and urban living. Winston-Salem, the largest city in the county, emerged many years ago as Forsyth County’s economic engine and today holds the title of fifth-largest city in North Carolina. The city is home to many large corporations, including but not limited to, Reynolds America, Truist Bank, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Hanes Brands and two large health care providers, Novant Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health. Important agricultural and industrial products include tobacco, corn, soybeans, furniture, textiles, tractors, and optical fiber. Today, Winston-Salem is known as “The City of Arts & Innovation.” Various artistic expression throughout the county ranges from an American Art Collection at the Reynolda House, the NC School of Arts, the Tanglewood Festival of Lights, the National Black Theatre, the Carolina Classic Regional Fair and many more. Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State University and Salem College are three of the universities that are housed in the city.
Forsyth County has a beautiful landscape which includes urban and rural communities. These areas are a composite of farms, villages, small cities/towns and one large city. The county covers 408 square miles.Essential Job Duties
The agent in this position will provide leadership for the development, implementation, evaluation, and marketing of an effective educational program in Family and Consumer Sciences, including the areas of foods, nutrition, and health.Other Work/Responsibilities
The Family and Consumer Science position will require the Agent to work 30% of the time on the NC State University’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education (SNAP-Ed) ~ Steps to Health and 70% on topics directly related to foods and nutrition. The position will be housed in the Forsyth County Agricultural Center located in Winston-Salem, NC.
The agent will collaborate and network with other agencies, groups, and organizations with similar missions.
Additional responsibilities will include:
• Recruiting and training Extension Volunteers
• Serving as Advisor to an active Extension
Volunteer Association (Extension and Community Association or Master Food Volunteers)
• Providing leadership to educational programs focused on improving health through nutrition food programs including commercial and retail food safety and certification, and food preservation
• Working with younger audiences, working parents, limited resource
families, youth and other audiences seeking to learn traditional
family and consumer science skills deemed appropriate by county
wants and needs.
The Agent is responsible for SNAP-Ed implementation, educating and inspiring limited resource North Carolinians to adopt healthy eating and physical activity behaviors through a series of nutrition education programs and initiatives targeting preschoolers through 4th grade students, adults, and families. Additionally, the Agent will work to identify opportunities for providing assistance to community partners in the area of improving policies, systems, and environments to better support healthy eating and physical activity. The Agent works with the project and county team, pro-actively providing programming to their appointed counties.
Essential job duties include:
• Recruit limited-resource families and individuals who meet federal eligibility participation requirements for SNAP-Ed.
• Coordinate with collaborating agencies to plan and
• Conduct direct nutrition education programs as outlined in Steps to Health program curricula and training.
• Facilitate the collection of appropriate demographic and evaluation data using specified tools.
• Purchase and prepare food and supplies for program
specific taste tests.
• Track and spend within provided budgets for each program.
• Participate in Steps to Health trainings.
• With guidance from and in collaboration with Steps to Health campus staff, support partnering agencies in making positive improvements in nutrition and physical activity policies, systems, and environmental changes.
• Travel within assigned county. Occasional travel within North Carolina as required.
• Track and maintain program related paperwork such as data, inventory, and other documentation in an organized manner.
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field (based on a 4.0 scale). The minimum GPA requirement will be waived for NCCE Program Associates with a Bachelor’s degree. – A Bachelor’s degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master’s degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one degree in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field, or – Completion of a Master’s degree with at least one degree in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities. Personal Attributes: Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Agent’s job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension.Departmental Required Skills
The professional in this position must be energetic, enjoy working with individuals as well as groups, be able to work with diverse audiences, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks with little supervision.
Bachelor’s degree in Family and Consumer Sciences, Foods and Nutrition, or a related field is required.
Computer literacy including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is expected.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Candidates should have excellent time and resource management skills, should be personable, and able to build networking coalitions.
Food entrepreneurship skills would be preferred.
Programming on family resource management and integration with other staff members is encouraged.Required License or Certification
N/ASpecial InstructionsJob Open Date09/02/2020Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.09/16/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * All agent positions require a minimum education requirement of: A. A Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or 3.0 in major field of study (based on a 4.0 scale); B. A Bachelor's degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master's degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher; C. A completed Master's degree. Do you meet this minimum education requirement?
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section A above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section B above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section C above.
- No, however I am in my last semester of study.
- No, I do not meet this requirement.
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References