Counselor-emphasis in addictive behaviors
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190615EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleCounselor-emphasis in addictive behaviorsAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experienceWork ScheduleMonday-Friday, 8am-5pm; some participation in after hours “on-call” and evening office hours.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment Counseling ServicesAbout the Department
Division of Academic and Student Affairs Mission, Values & Objectives
We promote the success of the whole student.
In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
The Counseling Center assists NC State University students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance.
The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate.Essential Job Duties
- Provide professional individual and group counseling services and outreach to NC State students as well as consultation to University administrators, staff and others who have concerns about the mental/emotional status of NC State students.
- Twelve-month position to assist in all areas of Counseling Center functions including:
Individual and group counseling of NC State students/clients (personal, academic, and vocational assessment and counseling); psychological assessment; developmental and crisis counseling; couples counseling; evaluation of students for withdrawal from the University.
- Development and participation in Outreach programming.
- Consultation with faculty staff, parents, and others.
- Providing evaluations and recommendations regarding students with academic and conduct problems.
- Some participation in after-hours “on call” and possible evening office hours.
- General administrative responsibilities.Other Responsibilities
- Adhere responsibly to Center policies and procedures.
- Provide clinical supervision to masters, post masters or doctoral interns and participate fully in the center’s training mission.
- Maintain communication with other Center staff to foster positive client services.
- Effectively utilize the Center’s electronic medical records/scheduling program.
- Complete all documentation in a timely manner
- Establish and provide statistical information as requested.
- Receive regular supervision from designated supervisor.
- Attend clinical and administrative staff meetings as assigned by supervisor.
- Serve on center committees and teams as directed by supervisor.
- Work closely with staff at all units to assure timely responsiveness and customer service.
- Perform public relations duties as needed.
- Provide crisis intervention services, including on-call services.
- Present a positive image of the Center to the public.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education
- Master’s degree required and a doctorate preferred in psychology, counseling, or clinical social work or closely-related field.Other Required Qualifications
- Established commitment to multicultural competencies.
- Candidate must possess strong clinical skills and experience in handling crisis situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in a university counseling center is desirable.
- Successful candidates will be generalists who are multi-culturally affirming and possess competence and experience in working with diverse populations.
- Preference for candidates with experience utilizing a time-limited model of care.
- Preference for candidates who have experience and strong interest in working with addictive behaviors.
- Preference for candidates who have an additional license or certification in addictive behaviors (LCAS for example)Required License(s) or Certification(s)
- Appropriate licensure must be obtained/maintained according to NC laws.Valid NC Driver's License requiredNoCommercial Driver's License requiredNoJob Open Date08/18/2020Anticipated Close Date09/01/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include contract information for three professional reference.
HR please create a guest user loginPosition Number00100832Position TypeEHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID244020 - Counseling ServicesAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a Master's degree or higher in psychology, counseling, or clinical social work?
- Are you licensed (or eligible to be licensed within 6 months of hire) at an independent level according to North Carolina laws?
- Do you have experience working in a college/university setting?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References