Facilities Maintenance Technician
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190681SPInternal RecruitmentNoWorking TitleFacilities Maintenance TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range$41,000 - $44,000Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 7:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartmentBldg Maint & Oper-CBCAbout the Department
The 900+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University’s teaching, research/administrative space and 2, 240 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that conform to codes and regulations, while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building, and equipment modifications to the University.Essential Job Duties
This is a highly skilled position with proficiency in the maintenance, repair and operation of heating, cooling, steam/hot water boilers and boiler auxiliary equipment in the maintenance service zone. This position will maintain, repair, and install HVACR systems in addition to minor plumbing/piping installations.
Applicant should be familiar with electrical systems up to 600 vac and be knowledgeable of the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of secondary electrical systems, equipment and fixtures, i.e., conduit wire, electrical panels, breakers, switch gear, magnetic starters, disconnects, motors, light fixtures, ballasts, switches, receptacles, control system faults and correct, repair/adjust; replace switches, receptacles control system faults and correct, repair/adjust; replace temperature controls, regulators, humidity controllers and sensors; repair/adjust/replace pneumatic control valves and regulators; preventive maintenance on refrigerator/air conditioning equipment per manufacturer’s instructions.
This position will also diagnose/troubleshoot/repair boilers, fan turbines, pumps, condensate receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, strainers, pressure reducing stations, piping, insulation, air compressors, water softeners and other equipment for generating/controlling steam which requires pipe fitting and other skills.Other Responsibilities
Participate in the on-call program and other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work. Some positions may require special licenses or certification(s).
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Other Required Qualifications
Demonstrate through work, a depth of knowledge and skills for pneumatic controls, as well as DDC type of controls.
Must be able to communicate verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
Diagnose/troubleshoot/repair boilers, pumps, condensate receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, strainers, pressure reducing stations, piping, insulation, air compressors, water softeners and other equipment for generating/controlling steam which requires pipe fitting and other skills.
Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodations.Preferred Qualifications
Three to five years of experience in the trades areas of HVACR, electrical and plumbing.
High school diploma or GED.
Vocation or technical school.
Valid driver’s license required.
NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
This position is being reposted. Previous applicants are still being considered, and do not need to reapply.Position Number00063008Position TypeSHRAPosition Classification Band TitleFacility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical TradesPosition Classification Band LevelJourneyPosition Classification Salary Range$31,200 - $66,138Salary Grade Equivalency65Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure FailureTime Limited PositionNoTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable)Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment Id443701 - Bldg Maint & Oper-CBCAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Facility Maintenance Technician-Mechanical position.
- High school diploma/GED
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and trade(s) experience to equal 4 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 3 years experience)
- None of the above
- * A valid driver's license (DL) is required and a North Carolina Driver's License (NCDL) must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained as a condition of employment. Do you have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain one prior to start date, and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- Yes, I have a valid NCDL and will maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state and will obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state but cannot or will not obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state, but I will obtain a it within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state and cannot or will not obtain it.
- * Are you able to lift up to 60 pounds occasional (with or without a reasonable accommodation)?
- * Please describe your experience in HVAC, plumbing and electrical trades.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References