Research Associate 3
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-17
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Diabetes Research Institute has (2) two exciting Research Associate 3 opportunities. The Research Associate 3 supports research activities under the direction of a principle investigator, program director or designee of the principle investigator or program director.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains daily operations and performs procedures related to new and on-going research projects.
- Assists with ordering, purchasing, and maintenance of all required reagents and supplies for laboratory activities, and monitors and maintains inventory of supplies and stocks.
- Assists with the maintenance of institutional biosafety and animal care protocols, laboratory safety records, and standard operating procedures.
- Performs and assists other research staff with standard laboratory techniques.
- Develops, adapts, and implements new laboratory procedures.
- Records, organizes, and writes up experimental results for submission of manuscripts and for scientific presentations.
- Keeps abreast of latest literature in the field and searches for references to technical problems.
- Maintains current knowledge of the methods and techniques related to the specific field of research.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Isolation and processing of mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) from various tissue sources, extracellular vesicles (EVs) from MSC cultures, islet cells, bone marrow cells, and other human somatic cell types processed in the cGMP Advanced Cell and Biologic Products Manufacturing Facility.
Share in cGMP Facility on-call rotation for islet cell isolation, islet distribution, cell assessment, and other islet cell-related activities, including validation of new processes;
Evaluate the suitability of equipment, reagents, and general supplies, and make appropriate recommendations based on technical knowledge, expertise and experimental results.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Clear understanding of FACS instrument and technique;
- Must have technical and working knowledge of long-term tissue culture; cell cryopreservation; ELISA, flow cytometric techniques, tangential flow filtration system and other specialized equipment, reagents and supplies utilized for projects within the cGMP Facility.
- The candidate must be knowledgeable in/have experience in cGMP practices and regulations and/or willing to be trained.
- must be able to exercise independent judgment and work without supervision throughout the various stages of the cell culture, expansion and harvest processes (which may include isolation of cells through density gradient, separation, purification, or positive/negative selection using antibodies, determination of purity/quality, etc).
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r5