As the Office of Information Security continues to ramp up its presence on campus it is in need of a Security Administrator to assist the ISO in maintaining and growing the security footprint within the organization. The person in this position will be responsible for a broad range of tasks, including the day-to-day administration of information security tools and devices. The position may include significant responsibilities for the security administration of a wide variety of IT systems both on premise and, as Indiana Wesleyan University works towards larger adoption, cloud environments.
Additionally, as legal and regulatory compliance drivers continue to grow in impact and importance, many of the security administrator's tasks may also be part of an audit support function.
The individual in this position will work in conjunction with the ISO to manage product vendors and service providers. In-depth knowledge of Indiana Wesleyan University operating systems and security applications, as well as a working knowledge of basic network protocols and tools, will be required.
Position reports to the Information Security Officer (ISO). Position works with other Information Technology leaders and staff, client-facing resources, and business area leadership/project sponsors.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field preferred, or a combination of equivalent coursework and information security related certifications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works with IT and internal and external business partners to ensure that security is factored in the evaluation, selection, installation and configuration process of hardware and software
• Analyzes and makes recommendations to improve network, system, and application architectures
• Assists in coordinating appropriate remedial action, to ensure that systems are protected from known and potential threats and are free from known vulnerabilities.
• Track patching through other areas in IT where appropriate and, at the direction of the Information Security Officer, remove or otherwise mitigate known control weaknesses, such as unnecessary services or applications or redundant user
accounts, as a means of hardening systems in accordance with security policies and standards.
• Report unresolved network security exposures, misuse of resources or noncompliance situations using defined escalation processes.
• Research, recommend, evaluate and implement information security solutions that identify and/or protect against potential threats, and respond to security violations.
• Work with the university email administrator to secure communications. This would involve access control and researching potential phishing emails.
• Respond to and, where appropriate, resolve or escalate reported security incidents.
• Conduct research on threats and vulnerabilities and recommend remediation actions.
• Investigate and resolve security violations by providing postmortem analysis to illuminate the issues and possible solutions.
• Participate in regular meetings with ISO and managed security solutions provider.
• Assist in the monitoring of firewalls, intrusion detection systems, switches and routers
• Assist in the managing of the security awareness platform.
• Assist the ISO in conducting information security training for IWU employees
• Assist in the creation of information security guidelines and procedures.
According to Indiana Wesleyan University employment policy all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.
• Minimum of two years of IT or network security experience
• Bachelor's degree in information systems, or equivalent work experience.
• Relevant security or network infrastructure certifications.
• Technical proficiency with security-related systems and applications (SIEM, Antivirus etc.)
• Knowledge of network infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls, and associated network protocols and concepts.
• Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and network administration/protocols.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to enable effective security incident and problem resolution.
• Proven ability to work under stress in emergencies, with the flexibility to handle multiple high-pressure situations simultaneously.
• Ability to work well under minimal supervision.
• Strong team-oriented interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface effectively with a broad range of people and roles, including vendors and IT-business personnel.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Scripting knowledge preferred but not required.
• Strong customer/client focus, with the ability to manage expectations appropriately, provide a superior customer/client experience and build long-term relationships.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
As a religious educational institution operating under the auspices of The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (42 U.S.C., Sections 2000e-1 and 2000e-2).
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer