Requisition InformationPosted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleWeb DeveloperPosting NumberS01469Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week38.75Regular, Temporary or TermRegularIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedSalariedGradeSP2BHiring Minimum$51,826DepartmentOffice of Communications and Marketing (Middlebury)LocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background CheckPosition Summary
Under the direction of the Director of Digital Services, the Web Developer will work closely with ITS, Communications, and campus clients to maintain and develop Middlebury’s websites and digital marketing initiatives.
The Web Developer’s ability to collaborate and reach consensus in a high paced environment will be a significant and required asset. The ideal candidate will be familiar with online marketing practices, must possess excellent communication skills, enjoy working in a team environment, and be a highly organized, results-driven individual, who knows how to proactively redirect around pitfalls and develop a course of action.Essential Functions
Earliest anticipated start date is November 11,2020.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
The Web Developer will, in a collaborative environment, drive initiatives to enhance and expand Middlebury’s operations online through the development and implementation of websites, emails, and other digital communications and marketing initiatives.
- Develops and implements websites, web applications, emails and other pieces of interactive marketing that effectively communicate in a manner consistent with Middlebury’s overall communications strategy.
- Optimizes and tests features across all major browsers on desktop and on mobile devices
- Works with Designers, Managers and partner Developers to make sure all user interactions are well designed and implemented correctly.
- Collaborates with peers on best practices and promotes knowledge sharing
- Works within existing brand standards to create best possible digital solutions.
- Troubleshoots and provides continual maintenance and upgrades of web sites.
- Stays up to date on current and future front-end development technologies as well as UX/UI standards and best practices
- Analyzes user impact of different features and treatments using A/B testing and analytics
- Monitors current and emerging Internet trends, regulations, and technologies, and developments to help guide the planning and execution of online initiatives.
- Leads and/or collaborates and supports initiatives that encourage online engagement.
- Participate in training and support of colleagues and end-users in development and use of web technologies.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in meeting its goals.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or relevant/comparable work experience preferred.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of and hands-on experience implementing the full development lifecycle of web sites and interactive marketing material.
- Experience building, testing, and deploying email marketing, with a focus on being mobile friendly.
- Working knowledge of PHP, jQuery, Sass/Less, as well as experience with Wordpress and Drupal template development is highly desired.
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite of products is a plus.
- Ability to choose appropriate design patterns and write high-quality, maintainable code.
- While not in a design specific position, possessing a work-knowledge of modern web design patterns and IA/UX concepts is a plus.
- Must understand web accessibility, and how to support accessibility guidelines/standards from a front-end code point of view.
- Must have excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to communicate well with people from different academic and administrative disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and knowledge.
- Combines creative energy with strong visual judgment and careful execution.
- Must be able to work independently, exercise good judgment, and respond to rapidly changing demands.
A strong candidate for the position of Web Developer will have 3-5 years of front-end and interactive marketing development experience and possess a broad level of understanding surrounding the principles of software development and interactive design. A BS/BA is preferred. The candidate must be able to show examples of programming work in live websites / applications.Physical DemandsClose DateOpen Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsRecommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please provide a link (or links) to any online portfolios or materials that showcase your work.
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury website
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Vermont JobLink
- Inside Higher Ed
- Google Ads
- Seven Days
- If you learned of this employment opportunity from a source other than what is mentioned above, please list it here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/C V
- Cover Letter