Temporary Nurse Practitioner
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-09-14
JOB TITLETemporary Nurse PractitionerLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMEHealth Services-JMDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYThe Nurse Practitioner works as part of the larger WPI Health Services team focusing on assessment, diagnosis and care for all students with acute and chronic medical needs. The Nurse Practitioner provides confidential, evidence based, high quality, timely, direct medical care that is respectful to all individuals. With a strong commitment and respect for diversity, this position supports the promotion of wellness, personal growth and academic success of WPI students.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Provide direct patient care to students including managing acute, recurrent and chronic health issues.
- Conduct preventative health screenings for women and men including contraceptive guidance, STI testing and sexual health counseling.
- Triage patients with acute urgent medical situations promptly and refer as needed for appropriate emergency or follow up care.
- Review all pertinent medical information in the patient’s electronic health record.
- Obtain a thorough medical history, perform physical exams and order, obtain and review pertinent lab data.
- Provide treatment recommendations and prescribe medications according to evidence-based medicine and in accordance with the practice guidelines.
- Provide medical care for students with COVID-19 through telehealth and in-person appointments.
- Communicate clearly and respectfully with patients and families while providing culturally competent care.
- Refer to appropriate medical and mental health consultants and specialists as needed.
- Consult with the Director, Nurse Practitioner colleagues and Physician Consultants appropriately.
- Assist with coordination and implementation of infection control prevention.
- Collaborate and provide consultation to various campus departments.
- Participate in campus committees as needed.
- Master’s degree in Nursing.
- Licensure to practice in Massachusetts as an Advanced Practice Nurse with board certification as an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner with MCSR and DEA prescriptive authority.
- Three to five years’ experience in Primary Care, Internal Medicine or Urgent Care setting required.
- Experience in a college health setting strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with an adolescent/young adult population.
- Experience with EMR’s.
- Excellent critical thinking and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI.
FLSA STATUSUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.