Human Resources Specialist (Temporary)
Posting DetailsClassification TitlePosition CategoryWorking TitleHuman Resources Specialist (Temporary)Job Summary
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, this position supports the Office of Human Resources by providing a variety of human resource support and performing technical functions associated with employment programs and customer service. The incumbent is responsible for the administration of applicant tracking, I-9 verification, new employee records and retention, student employment and payroll oversight. Additionally, the HR Specialist conducts onboarding and termination processes for new and existing employees. Knowledge of human resource policies and procedures is required.
The successful candidate will:
- Conduct on boarding procedures for all newly hired employees, including student workers and work-study students as well as update and maintain onboarding procedures as necessary.
- Enter employee hire date into e-Verify.
- Review and process new hire information and personnel actions, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Complete HR checklist/compliance for all newly hired employees as well communicate with departments regarding any discrepancies and follow up to ensure accuracy.
- Assume responsibility for system maintenance and data processing; data updates, clean-ups and reporting of data discrepancies; guarantees integrity of HR data.
- Perform daily maintenance and update transactions for all employees. Transactions include but are not limited to, pay adjustments, re-classifications, transfers, vacation payouts and promotions; answers related questions from employees and students.
- Serve as USG Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Coordinator for the institution.
- Participate in system-wide testing when new modules are introduced and implemented.
- Create weekly, monthly, new hire and termination reporting; responds to ad-hoc or emergency data request in support of HR and campus-wide operations.
- Hire, train, supervise, and provide work assignments to student workers and work-study students assigned to the HR department.
- Provide training and technical assistance for campus HRIS users, serve as point of contact for USG Shared Services Center for customer issues, troubleshoot resolutions and process requests for information.
- Copy, compile, maintain basic file systems or enter data, and/or compute data using mathematical functions; or compare items against a standard.
Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution.
- Three years of experience working in an human resource office.
- Strong organizational, writing and communications skills.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite and have strong computer skills.
- Possess superior customer service skills to handle internal and external customers.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff and the general public in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Background and/or credit check may be required.
- PHR or SHRM-CP certification
Savannah State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, genetics, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status. Georgia is an Open Records State.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been uploaded to the appropriate section.
Complete application online; submit cover letter, resume, transcript(s) and contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications will begin upon receipt. For best consideration, apply by September 28, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Savannah State University Website
- Savannah State University Employee
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have three years of experience working in an human resource office?
- * Are you proficient with Microsoft Office suite?
- * Do you have a PHR or SHRM-CP certification?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Other Document