Clinical Assistant Professor - Faculty in Residence
Job location: San Antonio TAMUSA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-11
Job TitleClinical Assistant Professor - Faculty in ResidenceAgencyTexas A&M University - San AntonioDepartmentCollege Of Education And Human DevelopmentProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationSan Antonio, TexasJob TypeFacultyJob Description
The College of Education and Human Development (COEHD) at Texas A&M University-San Antonio (A&M-SA) invites applications for a non-tenure track appointment at the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor - Faculty-in-Residence beginning in Fall 2020. A regional comprehensive university, A&M-SA has approximately 6,700 students enrolled in over 50 undergraduate programs and 13 graduate programs. A&M-SA is a comprehensive 4-year urban university and is part of the statewide Texas A&M University System. The University is a proud Hispanic-serving and military-serving institution.
This is a grant-funded position. Grant funded positions are time-limited and are contingent upon sufficient grant funding.
The successful candidate will be broadly trained in an area specific to special education, capable of providing guidance and direction within a laboratory school setting for individuals with special needs who are between the ages of 18 and 22. The candidate must be willing to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment, and be familiar with the needs of a non-traditional, first-generation, culturally diverse student body. The Faculty-in-Residence (FIR) is a member of the University Lab School operations team and will work directly with the University Institute for School and Community Partnerships which manages the lab school operations. The FIR works primarily at our 18 + lab school and provides direct service to lab school students who have a variety of special needs; works in a collaborative capacity with lab school administration; and in a mentorship capacity with A&M-SA clinical teachers and lab school teachers. The FIR will be responsible for facilitating the lab school plan developed by the Institute. Responsibilities are diverse and general in nature and may reflect more than one functional area.
A&M-SA is committed to diversity among faculty and inclusive excellence. This commitment is based on the belief that a diverse faculty enhances the breadth, depth, and quality of our students' educational experiences by providing a variety of role models and mentors for our diverse student population. Our dedication to diversity helps to attract, retain, and graduate culturally- responsive students.
Review of applications will begin two weeks after posting and will continue until the position is filled.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Special Education or a related field
- A minimum of three years of full-time teaching experience in public schools with specific experience in special education and/or transition planning
- Full-time teaching experience at the college level
- Demonstrated experience delivering teacher professional development
- Serve as the full-time Faculty-in-Residence at the Burleson Center-A&M-SA lab school Mentor students, clinical teachers, and professional teachers
- Collaborate with lab school administrators
- Collaborate with the Institute for School and Community Partnerships to develop programs and relationships that advance the strategic framework for the lab school
- Other service and committee work at the program, department, college, university, community, and profession levels
- Ensure alignment of operations for the lab school with the Institute's charter school partnership
- Assess, evaluate, and recommend opportunities for collaboration with partners
- Support broader lab school initiatives during the academic year and over the summer Implement education outreach programming and work with the Institute to establish collaborative partnerships for on- and off-site initiatives
- Coordinate program initiatives, ensuring unity of focus and purpose
- Teach university courses as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Strong self-discipline and ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty and students
- Ability to interact with students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to develop capacity in teachers to work successfully with students of varied experiences and backgrounds
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, community groups, educators, parents, civic associations and the general public as necessitated by the work Knowledge of the design and development of curriculum to support lab school activities Skill in utilizing computer software
- Ability to prepare and maintain required reports and records
- Develop visual aids and other instructional materials to meet specific training need
Finalists will be required to provide three current, original letters of recommendation to the Search Committee Chair at the address listed below. The letters should be less than one year old and should bear the writer's actual signature. Prior to issuing a letter of appointment, official transcripts must be received directly from each degree-granting institution by the Office of Academic Affairs, A&M-SA, One University Way, San Antonio, TX 78224. We cannot accept transcripts issued directly to the candidate. If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcript translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
For questions, please contact the following:
Clinical Assistant Professor-Faculty-in-Residence
c/o Carl Sheperis (email: email@example.com)
Texas A&M University-San Antonio
College of Education and Human Development
One University Way
San Antonio, TX 78224
Selected candidates must pass a pre-employment background investigation to be hired for this position.
Please make sure to provide the following documents:
1) Online Application
2) Curriculum vitae (CV)
3) Transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and three phone references
For detailed instructions on how to apply for any position on our website, please use the following link:
Make sure that all required documents are uploaded prior to submitting the application. If you have issues with adding documents with your application, please contact HR at 210-784-2058.
Once your application is submitted, no changes or revisions can be made.
Summary of Employee Benefits
In compliance with ADA, if accommodations are needed for the application process, please contact HR at (210) 784-2058
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.