Director of Student Life & Engagement
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2020-072
Posting Start Date: 9/15/2020
Minimum Education: Masters
Additional Documentation: YES
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Director of Student Life & EngagementDescription/Job Summary
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Student Life and Engagement (DSLE) is responsible for the direction, supervision, administrative oversight and coordination for the Office of Student Life and Engagement (SLE) at Baltimore City Community College (BCCC). The director will play a critical role in strengthening the campus life experience. The individual will develop a virtual student life experience to compliment the on campus social life environment. S/he provides leadership in collaborating with constituents from the both the local and campus communities. The director will work with campus leadership to ensure that co-curricular and extracurricular activities align with the mission, vision, and core values of BCCC. The Director will maintain a “Student First” focus and possess high professional standards along with the ability to manage, develop and motivate staff. The Director provides leadership to the Student Life team by promoting community development and programming.
The Director serves as a member of the Student Affairs Leadership Team (SALT), contributes to Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) planning, and collaborates on the execution and evaluation of SEM initiatives. The director works in collaboration with various campus departments such as the Office of Admissions, the Student Success Center, Mayor’s Scholars Program, and Marketing and Communications, and others. S/he must recognize the value of a diverse student population and be able to integrate that into activities for the College. Further, the Director maintains a visible presence virtually and on campus. S/he will be actively engaged in the creation and support of several large scale campus-wide events; serves as a role model and facilitator to student leaders; supports the development and engagement of student-driven clubs and organizations; implements co-curricular leadership programming; promotes student and organizational excellence and best practices grounded in student development theory; and advocates on behalf of student leaders and organizations.Responsibilities/Duties
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the department including hiring, training, evaluating, and supervising full and part-time staff;
- Prepares, administers, and manages the operating budget and expenditures related to the department and performs analysis and reporting to support decision-making;
- Manages the daily operations and staffing of the campus game room;
- Manages the process for student recognized student organization leadership development, including travel (when necessary);
- Works cooperatively with the Office of Athletics and other BCCC departments and student organizations on campus to facilitate e-sports activities and other virtual programming.
- Enforces policies, procedures, and guidelines for events, operations, and customer service, and strives for continual improvements in operation and services;
- Directly facilitates and manages all co-curricular student activity programs and events related to the Student Government Association (SGA), students clubs and organizations, and student media projects;
- Educates the campus community about diversity and multiculturalism through offerings that highlight the contributions of diverse groups from local, state, national, and international communities;
- Works with campus leadership in identifying vendor (and contracts) for campus programs and events;
- Manages facility concerns including utilization of several student-oriented campus spaces.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Student Activities and Leadership: Research best practice for student leadership development programs;
- Design and implement a program for student leadership development;
- Promote student participation in clubs and organizations to build enthusiasm around campus life;
- Manage assigned budget allocations and review and approve all student event programming contracts;
- Facilitate large scale campus programs such as welcome week, and other events, as assigned;
- Develop community service and volunteer opportunities for students.
- Responsible for the development of the virtual student Life campus including but not limited to: online social events, gaming, e-sports room, virtual student competitions, educational programming, leadership development workshops, tournament organization, special events, weekend and late night programming;
- Develop a diverse array of gaming and online programming that will attract participation from a broad spectrum of students;
- Other related duties as assigned.
***Please upload seven professional references as an additional document***
- Master’s Degree in College Student Personnel Administration, Educational Administration or related discipline required.
- Minimum of five (5) years full-time, supervisory, professional experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience with working with diverse student populations is required.
- This position has personnel management responsibilities that include assisting with the training, development and supervision of professional staff and student staff workers.
- Successful candidates will have significant experience working with engaging college students in a remote setting and building student life in an online environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive relationships with students and student organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate programs with other college departments and to assess program effectiveness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong computer skills.
- Ability to handle extremely sensitive and confidential matters discreetly.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and management.
- Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all in-person events are currently on hiatus. However, the selected candidate will need to reside in the Greater Baltimore area for return to campus
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail