The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Job Profile Title
Research Specialist A
Job Description Summary
The research labs of Dr. John Trueswell and Dr. Lila Gleitman are hiring a full-time Research Specialist to help conduct language learning studies with children and adults.
The research labs are hiring a Research Specialist to help conduct language learning studies with children and adults. Some of these studies will involve web-based eye-gaze studies of participants as they respond to spoken instructions. The successful candidate will have frequent interactions with postdocs, graduate students, research assistants, and will have plenty of opportunities for scientific involvement in all aspects of research projects including journal articles and conference presentations. Thus this position is an excellent stepping stone for someone planning to go to graduate school in psycholinguistics — individuals previously employed in this position are now star graduate students, postdocs and even professors within psychology and linguistics. Note that for the time being the position will be conducted remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions, with all data collection being conducted over the internet. Eventually the position will also include in-person data collection.
A valid driver's license and background check for working with minors are required for this position.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assisting lab members and the PIs in the running of experiments
- Designing, running and analyzing experiments with infants, children, and adults
- Developing experimental materials, and data management/analysis
- Recruiting participants
- Coordinating and training undergraduate research assistants
- Assisting in planning lab events and meetings
- Additional duties include management of human subject information, assisting in the reporting of information to funding institutions and Penn's Institutional Review Board (IRB), and lab scheduling
- A Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Linguistics, Computer Science, or Cognitive Science
- 0-1 year of research experience, preferably with children or infants (an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered).
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (especially with young children and families).
- Be detail-oriented, motivated, creative, organized, and able to work independently
- Experience is required in Microsoft Excel and statistical analysis software (preferably R, SPSS and/or MatLab).
- Be able to jump from low- to high-level amount of work smoothly and work under pressure when deadlines are approaching
- Prior experience in psychology research and/or computational modeling.
- Flexible work availability is desirable.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Arts and Sciences
$35,568.00 - $57,600.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Stephen-A-Levin-Building---2nd-Floor/Research-Specialist_JR00024330-2
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency