Communications Manager, Korbel School of International Studies
The Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver is an interdisciplinary professional school of international studies that prepares students for careers in the public, private and non-profit sectors. The School offers six masters degrees and two undergraduate degrees and houses several research centers and institutes. Our masters programs are ranked 14th in the world by Foreign Policy magazine and provide students with the knowledge, skills and networks to design policies, implement programs, and realize outcomes that enhance human capabilities around the world. The Korbel School is a mission-driven institution. Through our teaching, research and direct engagement we are taking on the great challenges of our time: making the global economy more equitable and inclusive, responding to new and emerging security threats, advancing human rights and social justice, combating climate change, and promoting healthy democracy.
The Communications Manager oversees a wide range of communications for the Josef Korbel School of International Studies (Korbel School). Reporting to the Director of Communication and Marketing, the Communications Manager interacts with faculty, staff and students to build relationships and maintain an active awareness of developments and opportunities at the Korbel School, including new initiatives, research, events, student engagement, admissions, careers, and alumni/donor relations. This position is responsible for day-to-day communications needs of the school. The communications manager will assist in developing and implementing Korbels content strategy including managing, updating, and developing a variety of content for the schools website. The communications manager will assist in developing internal communications strategies and devise, implement and maintain internal communications channels. The communications manager will also oversee the day-to-day management of the schools social media platforms to feature engaging and timely content. The communications manager will play a key role in developing content on behalf of the school and will function as the primary writer. As such, the communications manager must possess strong written and oral communications skills.
- Develop a content strategy based on the Korbel School's business objectives and strategic plan.
- Oversee content requirements and create deliverables across a project life cycle and across digital and traditional channels.
- Actively manages schools social media channels including organic content and social media campaigns.
- Responsible for improving, optimizing and maintaining the Korbel Schools website including updates to improve navigation, brand clarity, improve SEO, and implementation of new features or modules.
- Assists in identifying and tracking key performance indicators and analytics for the Korbel Schools digital media platforms including website, social media and other digital media platforms.
- Monitor and optimize engagement of website, digital, and social media channels.
- Drafts articles, talking points, op-eds blogs, external and internal newsletters, website updates, social media posts and other communications.
- Create and maintain editorial calendars, style guides, taxonomies, metadata frameworks and content migration plans. Lead technical integration of content through owned channels.
- Plan, write and edit content, ensuring it is clear, compelling and properly distributed across channels and audiences while adhering to the Korbel Schools brand identity.
- Identifies media-worthy stories to pitch.
- Works with all departments and external partners to support appropriate usage of brand identity.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of experience in communications, marketing or a related field.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing social media channels.
- Demonstrated experience managing websites and web content utilizing content management systems including development of original content.
- Demonstrated experience managing website content.
- Copy editing experience.
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field.
- 3 years of experience in communications, marketing or a related field.
- 2 years of experience overseeing content strategies and platforms like social media channels and email marketing programs.
- 2 years of experience updating and maintaining a website, including knowledge of content management systems (Drupal experience is a plus).
- Experience with photography and video, including editing, uploading and posting to websites and social media.
- Experience working in higher education, non-profit or government sectors.
- Interest in and knowledge of international affairs/international studies and public policy.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, September 29, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.