Biological Scientist II
Job no: 514597
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:28100000 - VM-INFECT DISEASE & IMMUNOLOGY
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
- Perform diagnostic work in aquatic animal virology, microbiology, mycology and parasitology. This position requires a basic knowledge of emerging and reportable aquatic animal pathogens, including but not limited to identification and susceptibility testing of aquatic animal viruses, bacteria, parasites, and fungi.
- Responsible for training undergraduates in the proper methods of specimen collection for virology, microbiology, mycology, and parasitology.
- Prepares written reports as needed. Acts as first contact for the research group - answering queries and providing guidance.
- Responsible for accurately entering diagnostic results
- Tracks supply use by project and maintains functional accounting systems and an adequate inventory and level of supplies and reagents to perform laboratory research. Prepares reagents for studies and analysis, maintains laboratory equipment and reports facility issues to appropriate individual.
$35,000 - $45,000 annually; commensurate with education and experienceMinimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience; or a Master's degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of laboratory safety, aseptic technique, proper use of an automated pipette, proper use of microscope.
- Effective communication (written and verbal) and excellent people skills.
- Must be able to work well in groups.
- Proficient in use of next generation sequencing technologies and microscopes (including light, dark-field and fluorescent).
- Proficient in sample preparation and standard staining techniques.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 09 Sep 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 09 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time